Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 74536 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #520 on: August 08, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
Watched half of Mary Poppins Returns and found it dreary and dull. None of the songs stood out. I can't imagine children enjoying it. My wife finished it and thought the second half was worse than the first.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #521 on: August 08, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
My wife and I watched most of it on the Disney cruise, up until the part where MP takes the kids to the bank. We thought it was okay, although I have to say I don't remember much of it now. We always meant to watch the rest of it but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #522 on: August 08, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »
As many times as I hear it, I do not understand this reaction. Id be curious to learn how I came to be so in sync with what the film is doing, and so out of step with general opinion. I can at least make a case for Incredibles 2 being not good, but not even a chapter-by-chapter will move my needle on Mary Poppins Returns, or I suspect alter other opinions.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #523 on: August 09, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
The feel-good movie of the year about dead mother's and soul-crushing debt.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #524 on: August 09, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »
If you dont finish it...

Watch half of Jaws and its a Summer movie about a shark that kills people enjoying themselves at the beach.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #525 on: August 24, 2019, 01:38:59 AM »
Sicario 2

Rather dull. The Bourne series is still the grand champion how to film a manhunt in a darkened room full of screens with satellite images and numbers. They somehow make it seem cool when Chris Cooper, Joan Allen or David Strathairn do it... it feels like a well oiled machine. Here, Josh Brolin just claps his hands and says "hurry up" and "let's go guys" to nobody in particular and you hear embarrassing technobabble softly shouted around the room. "Triangulating!" There's no music pushing these moments along, it's just Brolin looking intense and pacing.

The lack of stakes probably made me dislike those moments more than they deserve. I don't have any fondness, or even much of a recollection of these characters. I have no frame of reference for how I should feel about their missions. And ultimately the story doesn't feel very big. It's episodic... just another beef with a cartel, whoop die doo.

The first film was strong on tone and certain sequences were well done, but it was similarly weak on story and character. I turned this off after an hour. Really felt like a "who cares" outcome.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #526 on: October 06, 2019, 05:04:16 PM »
Don't Look Now

Probably less than ten minutes, because my wife was having absolutely none of Sutherland's histrionics in the opening scene. Guess I'll have to find some time to finish this on my own.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
A Bread Factory, Part One (2018)

I got 45 minutes into this, and while there were a few moments I liked I just wasn't into the storytelling or Wang's filmmaking style.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #528 on: November 12, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
Aladdin in 4k HDR on Disney+ to try it out this morning before class. Looks amazing. It also made me feel like I went way to soft on the live-action remakes. There's more thought and creativity and effort in those first ten minutes (up through "One Jump Ahead") than in the entirety of the recent remake.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2020, 02:23:37 AM »
Agora - I had seen this in theaters and been pleasantly surprised. This time I didn't last 5 minutes. Dull opening.

The Presidio - Sean Connery is Meg Ryan's dad. But Mark Harmon is so cool that Meg Ryan can't resist him. It makes Connery unhappy. Harmon and Connery have to work together to solve a murder in spite of this. I was interested in solving the case. The movie is interested in Meg Ryan. 30 minutes and I'm out.

Four Christmases - Foul. I made it halfway through the first Christmas and bailed. Such a stupid movie.

Bottle Shock - I really wanted to like this but Chris Pine's character and other characters and the general vibe I was getting put me off pretty quickly. I didn't give it a fair shake but I wasn't feeling it either, so why go on.

Some Beasts - Waited 5 minutes for something to happen then turned it off because nothing did. 

Serendipity - I was really frustrated that the movie thought the opening scene was so charming and funny it needed to go on for 5 minutes. I took it as a sign of further bad judgement and turned it off.

Head Full of Honey - This film can be shot right out of a canon. I don't think the director has an enough of an understanding of the English language to make a basic conversation work in a film. Interactions were painful. The editor was on speed.

Us - solid creepy 45 minutes or whatever... then the film hits the throttle and I lost all interest. I talked about it with a friend later who had finished it to gauge if I should continue, but it didn't sound like something I'd enjoy.