love

Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 74633 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #620 on: December 29, 2022, 02:53:00 PM »
... Avatar: The Way of Water. Then another 10 and another 10, until finally all nineteen sets of 10 minutes had passed.
This was my experience with Babylon, but that's largely because there's very little of an overall story, just characters moving through points in time. Never growing deeper or showing signs of reacting to what's happening around them.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #621 on: December 29, 2022, 06:58:10 PM »
Yeah, my Avatar experience was wanting 100% less “white people bad” action and 100% more chilling on Pandora. The problem being it doesn’t say anything interesting about the former and the latter is fun.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #622 on: December 30, 2022, 02:44:21 AM »
Watched it in iMax 3d, visually it was quite an experience.  I thought his decisions were all selfish and irrational from the start but I get that Cameron doesn’t want to create the 2nd film in the same world as the first.  It is much more interesting to take it out of the forest and move to the sea.  My big mistake was only bring 1 bottle of wine into the theatre with me, we finished it too early into the film
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #623 on: January 31, 2023, 10:06:56 PM »
I've never had a problem with films from a shared cinematic universe, but tonight I was taken by surprise. I set down to watch the Horror film Ivanna (2022), directed by Kimo Stamboel, and when the title came up it said...

Panic. What's the Danur Universe? Should I be watching another film first? I looked up the titles and none of them are well-reviewed. IMDB says this is the origin of one of the ghosts from Danur 2, so I figure it's like The Nun's relationship to The Conjuring Series and should be fine to watch on its own.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #624 on: February 03, 2023, 11:29:37 AM »
Ha, that definitely would’ve stopped me in my tracks.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #625 on: November 15, 2023, 02:42:25 PM »
Power of the Dog

"You act like it pains you to hitch one word to another."

A nice phrasing. I could say the same to the screenwriter unfortunately. If there's a haiku worth of syllables spoken in the first 20 minutes I'd be surprised. Are these men of few words or men who only know a few words?

I just couldn't go along with this film. A nasty protagonist surrounded by a few nasty friends, and the rest are frustratingly pathetic. A brutal reality, and perhaps brutally realistic, but who or what am I rooting for? I don't know. Not my style.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #626 on: November 15, 2023, 06:39:18 PM »
That’s fair. Dumb to call it Power of the Dog and not include a 40-minute montage of dogs reuniting with soldiers.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #627 on: December 19, 2023, 09:32:40 AM »
The Super Mario Bros Movie

Had to watch the cousin's kid yesterday and this was on in the background. Probably one of the most mediocre and uninterested family movies in recent years. Not aggressively bad but completely meh.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #628 on: December 19, 2023, 02:41:50 PM »
Exactly

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #629 on: December 19, 2023, 03:20:06 PM »
In the words of Jeff Cannata, "It's a me-diocre!". My kid loves it though.

love