Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 75609 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Caught 10 minutes of....
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »
I've had this thread idea bouncing around in my head for a few months.  See if this is worthwhile enough to catch on.

Barton Fink

Tivo'd this about a week ago and have been struggling to find time to watch.  Caught 10 minutes of it before heading to bed and realized I need to slot out some mental energy for this to give it it's just due.  Right now it seems like pretencious garbage.  I give it the Coen benefit of the doubt

The Bodyguard

Wife was watching.  I got about 10 minutes in before giving up and reading a book.  It's not horrible and Costner is not bad, but I had really no patience for it, sadly.  

Blade Runner
Threw the beginning of Blade Runner, inspired by the line-after game, just to get swept away by the Vangelis score.  I knew I didn't have time to watch the whole thing.  But it was enough to take me off planet for a brief spell.  I may need to reconsider this for my top 100.  It's just outside the cut right now.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Watched the beginning of Simple Men again, up to the point where they get to that burning house. So weird and funny. Can't wait to reread that Bordwell thingie comparing Hartley to 80's Godard.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 01:23:12 PM »
About a month ago I caught about the first 20 minutes of Good Will Hunting. It was good enough to make me want to finish it at some point but not good enough to get into my netflix top 10.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »
I caught the last 15 minutes or so of Speed Racer. That was enough.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
I caught about 20 minutes of Die Hard With a Vengeance on tv yesterday. I forgot how bad/funny Scar's American (by way of Germany or something) accent was. I think it was on purpose and that is awesome.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
Fired Up!

I saw it scattered moments and it's pretty bad.  It's not funny at all.  One of the guys looks too old to be a high school student.  The guy who plays the cheerleading camp coach definitely overacts and why Phillip Baker Hall, why?  I blame Paul Thomas Anderson for making him wait too long in between projects.  And that chick from that new 90210 as the bad cheerleader seems to be a real bitch in real life.  She looks attractive but looks like the kind of girl who is just so vapid.

Bride Wars

Another film I saw in scattered moments and it is horrible.  Anne Hathaway looks really uncomfortable throughout the film and she is just phoning it in.  Kate Hudson should never wear too much eyeliner or sport bangs.  She looks like an uglier version of her mother.  The film itself isn't funny.  It's too mean and has a stupid ending. 

"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »
District 9

Those creatures I'd seen in stills are CGI. Interest dropped to zero.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »
Watched about 40 minutes of North by Northwest. I will definitely finish it sometime soon. I'm craving Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant just doesn't cut it.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:33:50 PM »
just watched the first 10 minutes of Ballast on Netflix Instant, but it was starting to skip around a lot, lagging. So I think I'll give it another go sometime soon. It has potential.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:42:31 PM »
Watched about 40 minutes of North by Northwest. I will definitely finish it sometime soon. I'm craving Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant just doesn't cut it.

Did it leave you wanting more?....

I need to see this UGH! 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love