Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 75564 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #390 on: October 12, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »
Can't wait to not rate it on Letterboxd!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #391 on: November 14, 2017, 11:41:30 PM »
Nightmare Alley. Are the any damn alleys in this movie? I'm worried they wasted the perfect title on the wrong film.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #392 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
Can we change the title of this thread to "Movies I didn't finish"? That's how it's used isn't it? :) Anyways...

Field of Dreams - never seen it before, but basically I got bored before James Earl Jones even showed up. I guess I'll miss out on the big crying moment everyone remarks on at the end... but I've heard it described so many times I wouldn't be able to experience it organically anyways. From what I did see, everything with the townsfolk and neighbours and extended family could've been cut out. "What's he doing?" "Oh your corn crop!" "I don't see anybody"... what does it matter what any of these busybodies think. Their generic comments bored me. I like that the wife is supportive and they just get the ball rolling right away. The farm debt and disbelieving, well-meaning neighbour stuff... yawnsville.

A Walk in the Woods - I had seen this once before in theatres. It's a mostly palatable film... though at times you have to tolerate it. Evidently I didn't feel the need to finish it again. I guess I was just looking for something quick and easy.

Strange Days - This had been on my list of films to rewatch for a while, and it popped up on Netflix. Having seen it before I really noticed this time how much the world building drags. Nothing about it really wrapped me up as it had before, and there weren't any standout scenes to keep me going. I think I got about half way and drifted.

Men in Black - When did this come out? That's the last time I saw it. There's been sequels, which I ignored. It's just not as funny as it probably once was for me. Lasted maybe 30 minutes .

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #393 on: December 12, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »
Sleeping With The Enemy

Dramatically it kind of falls apart after Julia Roberts gets clear of her stupid husband. It takes a long time to raise the stakes back up. I didn't wait around for her husband to track her down... but it was pretty clear that's where it was headed. Only bad guys wear pleated slacks in movies.

7 Sisters (2017)

A pretty flimsy dystopian concept. And the story didn't seem to be building up to anything that interesting.

Smoke

• band website
« Reply #394 on: December 13, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »
Can we change the title of this thread to "Movies I didn't finish"?

The Thin Man is one I did finish, in ten or twenty minute increments. It's not that I didn't like the movie, it's just that I've been very busy and couldn't put the movie on until later at night and just, uncontrollably, fell asleep time and again. It made following the plot a bit hard, which made me rewatch some sections to get back in the flow. I don't know what it did for the plot but it really made the chemistry and banter even more fun. A good sign. I look forward to watching After The Thin Man on a Sunday morning with a big cup of coffee.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #395 on: December 17, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
Blade Runner: 2049
I've always had ambivalent feelings towards Blade Runner, but it took about 10 minutes of 2049 to realize how little I care to go back to this world and these questions about humanity. Numerous times, my body has shut down and I wake up to find Harrison Ford in the film. I don't think I've made it any further than Jared Leto's first big scene before inescapable unconsciousness takes hold.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #396 on: December 18, 2017, 12:37:08 AM »
Blade Runner: 2049

...it took about 10 minutes of 2049 to realize how little I care to go back to this world and these questions about humanity

YES! BORING questions. Boring boring questions. That is my memory of Blade Runner.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #397 on: December 18, 2017, 06:16:01 AM »
How anyone can find questions about the nature of reality and humanity boring is about as dumbfounding to me as, well, questions about the nature of reality.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #398 on: December 18, 2017, 11:45:04 PM »
When all the answers result in "who cares" that's when I lose interest. Is Deckard a replicant? Is so and so a replicant? Is everyone a replicant? Bleh.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #399 on: December 19, 2017, 02:33:49 AM »
When all the answers result in "who cares" that's when I lose interest. Is Deckard a replicant? Is so and so a replicant? Is everyone a replicant? Bleh.

That's Blade Runner. I agree it's not all that interesting. Blade Runner 2049 actually has characters to care about.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

love