love

Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 75535 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #420 on: February 04, 2018, 01:26:53 PM »
I thought A Quiet Passion was great, especially having heard some of Emily Dickinson's poetry before. She was trying to struggle with the idea of God and goodness though her work and found herself questioning and doubting a God who left her in so much pain that she could only express in poetry but her arrogance made it hard to trust any man in her life, which brought more pain.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2018, 04:23:40 AM »
The Lost City of Z. I feel like Lloyd from Undeclared got the lead role in a college play just because the director thought he was cute.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #422 on: February 14, 2018, 01:08:28 AM »
House of Flying Daggers

What did I ever see in this movie? I own it. I think it may have been in my top 100 once even. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why. The DVD looks like absolute crap for starters. That combined with the cheap looking costumes make it look like a film made 70s! I tried to put that aside and settle in for what I imagined would be the "stuff" that made me enjoy the movie in the first place. I couldn't find it. The story and storytelling were nothing special, the action was very underwhelming, and the score had no personality at all. I had to turn it off after about 30 or 40 minutes. Yikes! I've revisited old favourites that have lost their shine before. That's nothing new. This was a complete reversal. What I find strangest is that this came out 2 years after Hero, and yet Hero looks better and holds up in all the ways I remember.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #423 on: February 14, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
I had a very similar experience with that movie. Not quite as extreme, but my first viewing was a 10, second was a 7.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #424 on: February 14, 2018, 09:16:51 AM »
In that case, I will never watch it again. House of Flying Daggers will remain an all-timer!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #425 on: February 14, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
I finally caught up with Hero and House of Flying Daggers a couple years ago, and my review of the latter is full of confusion as to why people mistook it as comparable to Hero when really it's not very good at all.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2018, 02:17:27 AM »
20 minutes into Justice League and I'm not liking where it's going.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2018, 05:26:09 AM »
It doesn’t really go anywhere. It continues Batman V Superman with frequent Joss Whedon interruptions.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #428 on: March 07, 2018, 02:57:13 PM »
Ghost in the Shell (remake)

Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd, how is it THIS bad!? I cannot listen to this dialogue any longer. It is so painful.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #429 on: March 09, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »
Logan. Judging by the opening scene, I'm assuming this was shot on a cell phone. So gross.

I miss real cinematography, Hollywood.

pixote