love

Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 75561 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #440 on: March 14, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »
My Life Without Me - This has aged badly. All it's sensibilities just reek 2003 indie, which I wouldn't think would be such a bad thing, but I guess it is. I was in it for Mark Ruffalo, but bailed before he showed up.

Coixet! I'm afraid to revisit this and Things I Never Told You (1996, with Lili Taylor). Those were favorite films of mine at the time, but I've gotten a lot less tolerant towards American (m)indie films. The last I've seen from Coixet was Another Me (2013) and it was terrible. And Taylor, who was the coolest thing in the '90s, pretty much disappeared into supporting roles and horror flicks. Sarah Polley is still doing well, but only because she turned to directing.

I think there's probably hope for you enjoying those films again, since you have the experience of having enjoyed them in their prime. Sometimes that's enough. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #441 on: March 15, 2018, 02:18:53 AM »
Best of Enemies - Given what's shown in this doc I really don't see what make's these debates between Vidal and Buckley worth commemorating. It's just pundit pot shots. Neither side is listening to each other and they never drill down on the topic at hand. Scoring a quick zinger is all that seems to matter. Just more stupid tv. Turned it off halfway through.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #442 on: March 15, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
I think the idea is that this was the beginning of what has come to dominate the cable news paradigm. It started with good intentions and devolved into name calling.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #443 on: March 22, 2018, 12:36:10 AM »
Lonesome Cowboys (1968)

Warhol convinced a bunch of rich brats to be in a grotty flick and mix it up with a seedy bunch of drug addicts and homosexuals

The original gay cowboy movie(?) was directed by Andy Warhol and there's a credited screenwriter though the film seems to be completely improvised and made up of takes from actors(?) saying whatever idiotic thought comes into their head or grunt emoting(?) to show that they're still alive.

Instead of making a Western (Warhol yawned) he dresses up people in cowboy garb, puts a few horses in the frame (during the non-sex scenes) and deconstructs all of cinema with broken audio equipment (with frequent pops and electric hums), and deliberately choppy editing. It's your basic finger in the eye of cinema. Go CINECAST! yourself Andy Warhol. Not only can you not make a good movie, you can't even be bothered to make an interesting bad one. You're just ooze disdain for anything that's good about movies or watching movies.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:27:06 PM by 1SO »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #444 on: March 22, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
Would love to see that one day. Warhol's screen tests and collaboration with Paul Morrissey are really interesting to me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #445 on: March 22, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
What do you get out of them? I can understand appreciating Warhol deconstructing cinema in an interesting way with this subversion of one of the most genre of genres or filming super long takes of buildings and people sleeping, but you can read about it and get everything there is to get. What is to be gained by actually sitting through the movie?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #446 on: July 01, 2018, 12:58:29 AM »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Ugh. This is the worst. After 90 minutes I have nothing good to say and I can't be bothered to finish it. Watching Luke and R2 reunite on the Falcon was completely devoid of soul somehow. I don't know how you blow a moment like that but they did. The whole experience was soulless. Is this even John Williams? What utter utter blandness. Some get Nolan and Zimmer to make something serious please, because this is a joke. In fact it's full of jokes. Nobody can shut up for all the jokes they tell. Good grief. Keep it up, lets ruin yet another scene. What dud will we be treated to now?

*Mwah!* Only the very crappiest.

I thought Star Trek was going downhill quickly, but this... this would put a meteor to shame.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #447 on: July 01, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »
You signing on to back the remake?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #448 on: July 01, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
No chance. Just end it. That's my feeling.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #449 on: July 01, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
It's time to let Star Wars die.