Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 75549 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »
Much as I like the director of Hold the Dark, I can see him being too much of a slow burn for you. His last 3 features all take an unusually long time to get going compared with typical genre fare.

Literally have no idea what you're saying with The Incredibles, one of Pixar's most emotional efforts.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
Much as I like the director of Hold the Dark, I can see him being too much of a slow burn for you. His last 3 features all take an unusually long time to get going compared with typical genre fare.

I won't write him off yet. Your comment prompted me to look him up. In fact I have seen Blue Ruin (twice), the second time on my fondness for Devin Ratray's character and performance and wanting to see him again. I consider it a solid film. And Green Room had good buzz, and I'd meant to watch it at one point... but I think I watched Don't Make A Sound instead and then lost my appetite for horror temporarily.

Literally have no idea what you're saying with The Incredibles, one of Pixar's most emotional efforts.

I know I know. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »
See, now I read your comment on Hold the Dark again and I think those same thoughts could be applied to Blue Ruin right up to the bathroom scene. Hold the Dark has atmosphere, but he couldn't afford it with Blue so those opening scenes have no intrigue.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
See, now I read your comment on Hold the Dark again and I think those same thoughts could be applied to Blue Ruin right up to the bathroom scene. Hold the Dark has atmosphere, but he couldn't afford it with Blue so those opening scenes have no intrigue.

I am not consistently patient, so it could be that Blue Ruin caught me on a good day, or HtD on a bad one. :) BUT, I do feel like what little character interaction there was in Blue Ruin initially did pique my interest. Between him and the cop... and that information that gets passed on to him is a pretty good spark. It seems things are in motion immediately after.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #474 on: November 06, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »
The Night Comes for Us (2018)

First 30 minutes are really rough. Poor characterization, storytelling, and lacking anything to help you connect with any of the characters. The couple fights are very brutal, but nothing to write home about. Was really excited for this one, but not sure I'll bother with the rest.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
Climax (2018)
At work I got to see the one-take dance opening to Gaspar Noe's latest and it's dazzling, hypnotic, ecstatic. Any talk of the year's best musical moment - the song sounds like a Daft Punk mashup of Midnight Express and Born to Be Alive - is going to require an asterisk because this has opened in most European countries but doesn't have US distribution yet. Missing his usual Adult Content - there is one woman dancing in a tiny bikini - Noe shows why he's one of the most exciting filmmakers working today.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:35:02 AM by 1SO »

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #476 on: December 05, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »
Climax (2018)

Somehow I had already forgotten about the third one of this year's "provocative" films (all still unseen).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:30:48 PM by goodguy »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #477 on: December 11, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »
Holiday Inn (1942)

I've seen modern takes on black-face in shows like Mad Men and 30 Rock, and I've seen it as the subject in documentary segments, but this made me realize I'd never seen it just pop up in an old movie. And wow. Just remarkably disgusting. Had to turn it off. I didn't even like Bing's rendition of White Christmas, so the film didn't exactly have me hooked.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
The Saint (1997) - In my head this film had a better-than-average reputation. But that may have been phantom hype from 20 years ago when the standards were different, and I've just held on to that expectation ever since. Whatever the case, watching it today, for the first time, was a very uninspiring experience. I gave it 10 or 15 minutes to get a taste... I just wanted to see if there was anything there that would make me give it one of these. There wasn't. It wasn't terrible but there was no reason to keep watching.

Hard Rain (1998) - Does anyone remember this is? Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater... another post-Twister weather disaster film. I'd never heard of it. It also happens to be heist film. This one was terrible. I stopped at the ski-doo chase through a flooded school. I was just like "is this it? Is this really the premise that's meant to sustain me for an entire film?" A disappointment coming from the writer of Speed and Broken Arrow.

On an Unknown Beach (2016) - just some garbage doc from the bottom of the Amazon Prime barrel. Though if you enjoyed that other crappy documentary called Leviathan, the one that feels like 37 hours of ugly, dark, pointless GoPro footage from aboard a fishing boat, than this might be your thing. You will see a soggy pulley dangle from hook for 3 minutes, water lap up against the hull of a ship for 5 minutes, grainy footage from some deep sea drone narrated, perhaps fittingly, by a person who drones on about how little they see. It's such a low effort presentation of someone in love with their own footage. I don't understand the point of even bothering to assemble it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:42:50 PM by smirnoff »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »
Though if you enjoyed that other crappy documentary called Leviathan, the one that feels like 37 hours of ugly, dark, pointless GoPro footage from aboard a fishing boat, than this might be your thing.

One the best films of the 21st Century.