love

Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 75554 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #530 on: February 17, 2020, 12:31:51 AM »
Oblivion - Cool premise, some neat world building, but pretty dull characters and plot. I quit when Morgan Freeman showed up.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #531 on: March 11, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »
Looking forward to your thoughts on Lisbon.
Me too. This one I've done some prep, so I don't just walk blindly into 280min with a new director.

Mysteries of Lisbon
Turns out I still wasn't ready. (I've even seen Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting.) Made it 40 minutes in before I noticed I was letting the visual design wash over me and wasn't even trying to follow the layered plot. Couldn't keep that up for 210 more minutes.

I've decided to shelve this for now. Probably wasn't going to make my Top 100 of the Decade on a single viewing anyway. Ruiz is just 23 Directors away in my giant Director marathon, so I'll revisit at that time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #532 on: March 12, 2020, 12:02:44 PM »
Fair. It's both visually and narrativly rich and I certainly could see how it could be overwhelming.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #533 on: March 12, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
While letting it wash over you is certainly a way to watch it the first time. I’m thinking my narrative mind will enjoy the story and the telling more if I break it up and make some notes.

I can see fans of this film laughing at mainstream culture breaking down and debating the layers of Inception 

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2020, 11:18:06 PM »
Salt

It was on in the background while I caught some Zs. I saw the beginning and the end and it seemed okay, I guess. Kinda like a female Bourne. Ending made me think they set this up for a sequel which obviously never happened.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2020, 11:36:06 PM »
Got me thinking how embarrassing it is for a film, good or bad, when they clearly are setting up for more films and it never happens. I like Solo a lot, but the ending opens a Pandora's Box of questions that will never be addressed. Then there's The Mummy, where even if you no longer remember the huge marketing promotion of Universal's Dark Universe the inclusion of Henry Jekyll dangles off the film.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #536 on: March 21, 2020, 09:34:20 PM »
Foxcatcher

I lasted about 40 minutes. Scene to scene there's really not enough there to justify the sluggish pacing. I should probably have just opted to watch the doc, but now I find I don't care that much about learning this story anyway. Rich weirdo opens a wrestling camp in his basement... I assume he becomes a cult leader or molests the athletes in some way. The end.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #537 on: March 24, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
Gideon's Trumpet

Courtroom dramas are usually pretty compelling but the presentation here is dull as dishwater. Even so Henry Fonda made a big impression in a short time. While I bailed on this movie early, I was wow'd by his performance. I need to juice my watchlist with some more H. Fonda, immediately.

Official Secrets

Kiera Knightly plays a whistleblower. It's the year 2003 and the US and UK are working together to manipulate the UN and present their bogus evidence connecting Sadam and Al-Qaeda, the presence of WMD's, etc. Based on a true story from what the movie says. It simply took too long to get to new territory. It spends time setting up a personal relationship and tension that really didn't feel important or real.

I have a hard time pinpointing what made 2019's The Report a really good film, and this a really dull one, but people should consider watching The Report. It's excellent.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #538 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
Highlander - well it was supposed to be 10 minutes, but I have stopped it because it is nearly 2 in the morning, so it was more caught all but 10 minutes of. Acting is still pretty bad, and it looks so very 80s, but it still drew me right in.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #539 on: April 06, 2020, 11:06:14 AM »
All I know about that show is it's supposed to have an absurd amount of sex in it.  :P

love