love

Author Topic: Melbourne Fans Unite!!!  (Read 4127 times)

Joel (Melbourne)

Melbourne Fans Unite!!!
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »
Aussie Filmspotting fans! Let's force Adam and Matty to review some Aussie movies! I'm asking all Aussie listeners to donate something on the same day, and have the boys forced not only to read a ridiculous amount of thank you's to us in Oz, but also to up our chances at getting chosen for them to review something Aust...ralian (that isn't Australia!). I'm also wanting to see Melbourne people especially to step up and hopefully we can beat the rest of the country combined. So, I'm thinking we should all donate on the same day, and I'm just randomly picking 1st Dec. Anyway, that's my idea.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
Re: Melbourne Fans Unite!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »
So your idea is to donate so that Melbourne listeners can stack the draw for Afterhours, so that they will have to hopefully do a review of "Malcolm (1986)" - great idea ;)

I am sure Adam and Matty won't mind getting extra donations towards the cause of International movie discovery.
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Joel (Melbourne)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Exactly, but I would personally choose The Castle, The Dish and Don's Party. It just depends who gets chosen!

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »
I thought about The Castle, and have indeed shown it to "foreign" people, but it is just too colloquial. They don't get a lot of the Humour :(

As for me, the Castle is proudly sitting in my pool room ;)

My three picks could possibly include Malcolm, Bad Boy Bubby and Romper Stomper......or maybe Lantana, The Dish and Proof.......hmmmmm

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Joel (Melbourne)

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:11:24 AM »
Alright I donated today. I hope others have tried as well!

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:16:24 AM »
I'm not an Aussie, but I play like one 1/2 the year.

The Castle is the worst Aussie movie I have ever seen, bar none.  It's demeaning and unrepresentative.  I so hope you don't introduce it to the rest of the world. It's not even funny. (but I never finished it, so maybe the ending is funny)

Texan Down Under

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:08:24 AM »
The Castle is possibly the most quoted film in Australia, but like I said, it's just too colloquial for almost everyone else. It was made by Rob Sitch and Co. for people who grew up watching The D Generation, The Late Show and Funky Squad - so it's almost like an inside joke. It included Eric Bana's first movie role too!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:12:28 AM by Tim »

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:56:21 AM »
The Castle is brilliant but nobody outside Australia will get it; the whole movie is Aussie idioms. If you want a movie that is demeaning and unrepresentative look no further than Australia. How is the audacity to call that crap Australia? Maybe 0.000001% of Australia would have been better. I really can't stand all the focus on Aborigines in Aussie films. As stand alone movies they are fine, but how many times can you make Rabbit Proof Fence before you want something else?
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
The Castle is brilliant but nobody outside Australia will get it; the whole movie is Aussie idioms. If you want a movie that is demeaning and unrepresentative look no further than Australia. How is the audacity to call that crap Australia? Maybe 0.000001% of Australia would have been better. I really can't stand all the focus on Aborigines in Aussie films. As stand alone movies they are fine, but how many times can you make Rabbit Proof Fence before you want something else?

Above = Truth
Texan Down Under

Joel (Melbourne)

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
Well I don't agree with either of the statements that The Castle is crap, or that other's don't understand it. I showed it to a pub full of Americans/Canadians in Taiwan when I used to teach there (and it was The Castle by request) and they all loved it. That's like saying, don't watch Kurosawa movies because you don't understand Japanese culture. I think its one of the best Australian films ever made, and it would certainly be in my list if I was lucky enough to win.