Author Topic: 2012  (Read 4076 times)

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
Re: 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
Watched the first ten minutes this weekend.... went back to the box office, and got a refund....
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 09:27:58 AM »
Watched the first ten minutes this weekend.... went back to the box office, and got a refund....

lol awesome

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »

lol awesome

oh, it didn't end there.... then the wife wanted to see New Moon, so we went to see that.... 20 minutes into that... we went back, and got a refund... the box office girl was laughing pretty good when she saw us..... so, we just took our 26 dollar credit, and bought pre-tickets for the 3-D Screening of Avatar on opening day...
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »

lol awesome

oh, it didn't end there.... then the wife wanted to see New Moon, so we went to see that.... 20 minutes into that... we went back, and got a refund... the box office girl was laughing pretty good when she saw us..... so, we just took our 26 dollar credit, and bought pre-tickets for the 3-D Screening of Avatar on opening day...

Why? Do you not anticipate that the exact same thing is going to happen again?

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »

lol awesome

Why? Do you not anticipate that the exact same thing is going to happen again?

blame it on the wife
-Gene Siskel

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »
After this one, I think I probably just hate disaster movies.  Usually it comes down to the emotional elements they try to play, they just pull me completely out of the film and sometimes make me laugh.  I am assuming that they are not meant to be funny and people are suppose to get caught up in the impact of these people's lives but it has the complete opposite on me.

I also felt like yelling bullshit when the world is coming to an end and people are still able to make cell phone calls.  I can't even complete a call on New Years eve when I am out around a club area due to the amount of traffic.  I know they need the calls to go through for the emotional elements but they are the same things that start to make me laugh.

I am curious how Rolend Emmerich will do next to try to top this.  It seems like each project is trying to top the previous one.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »

I am curious how Rolend Emmerich will do next to try to top this.  It seems like each project is trying to top the previous one.

From the director of 2012:

THE BIG BANG- IN REVERSE

My thoughts on the movie, published here next to an exciting picture of Chiwetel Ejiofor staring into space:

http://www.dailycardinal.com/arts/2012-a-fun-disaster-1.930923
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »
Just saw this because I needed to kill a few brain cells, and my microwave is broken.

I wondered if anyone else noticed the strange image quality when the family was stuck in the flooded compartments of the ark. It looked like that scene wasn't color corrected or processed like the rest of the movie. The sound effects were there; the soundtrack was there. But the image was Star Trek: Voyager quality. Or DVD extras quality.

I have a theory that these scenes were last-minute pick-ups, and they were already locked into the release date. Roland said, "F*ck it. Anyone who would notice wouldn't be seeing this movie."

Anyone else? Was it because I was watching a digital projection?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 09:41:53 PM »
Just saw this because I needed to kill a few brain cells, and my microwave is broken.

I wondered if anyone else noticed the strange image quality when the family was stuck in the flooded compartments of the ark. It looked like that scene wasn't color corrected or processed like the rest of the movie. The sound effects were there; the soundtrack was there. But the image was Star Trek: Voyager quality. Or DVD extras quality.

I have a theory that these scenes were last-minute pick-ups, and they were already locked into the release date. Roland said, "F*ck it. Anyone who would notice wouldn't be seeing this movie."

Anyone else? Was it because I was watching a digital projection?

It's because the movie was shot digital, and poorly. This completely relates to my argument against the visuals in Public Enemies. It's not that the digital in Public Enemies was bad because it didn't look like a period piece. It's that the digital looked like cuss, just as it looks like cuss in 2012. Any shot that isn't an effects shot is absolutely awful looking in 2012.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
But then, why wouldn't they go back and color correct those portions of the movie? They can account for such differences in post, right? Why did they choose not to? Or is Emmerich THAT blasé about such things?

To me, it seemed like a fundamental, Film 101, mistake.

love