Author Topic: December MDC - Filmspots 2009  (Read 31222 times)

Lola

Re: December MDC - Filmspots 2009
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
A Serious Man - Coen Bros 2009

Everytime I walk into a cinema showing a Coen brothers film I feel like I am safe hands. These are Serious directors that trust the intellect of their audience by making non linear films. A Serious Man is their return to black comedy using non name actors. It is about a economics professor Larry Gopnik life in  Minneapolis jewish community begins to unravel. There is nothing cliche about this story including ts unbelievable ending that confirms this is a film worthy of a second viewing. As there is many nuance that it up for your own personal interpertation. You like Larry Gopnik go on a journey with him visiting a series of rabbis looking for advice about what is essentially the purpose of life. This film is filled with great performance it has fantastic script recognisable characters. If you liked Election this film carries similar tone. My vote is 3.8 out 5

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
~ Shakespeare from the play As You Like it (1623)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2009, 08:20:34 AM »
A Serious Man - Coen Bros 2009

Everytime I walk into a cinema showing a Coen brothers film I feel like I am safe hands. These are Serious directors that trust the intellect of their audience by making non linear films. A Serious Man is their return to black comedy using non name actors. It is about a economics professor Larry Gopnik life in  Minneapolis jewish community begins to unravel. There is nothing cliche about this story including ts unbelievable ending that confirms this is a film worthy of a second viewing. As there is many nuance that it up for your own personal interpertation. You like Larry Gopnik go on a journey with him visiting a series of rabbis looking for advice about what is essentially the purpose of life. This film is filled with great performance it has fantastic script recognisable characters. If you liked Election this film carries similar tone. My vote is 3.8 out 5

Feel free to check out the spoiler thread Lola.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
speaking of spoilers, is it ok to post a review of a dictated movie, the review being too spoileresque to just black out a sentence or two here or there, or should the review be posted elsewhere with just a link to it here?

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
speaking of spoilers, is it ok to post a review of a dictated movie, the review being too spoileresque to just black out a sentence or two here or there, or should the review be posted elsewhere with just a link to it here?

If its heavily spoiler laden best not to post it here.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2009, 07:27:46 PM »

If its heavily spoiler laden best not to post it here.

Those rules shouldn't apply to joem's reviews.  They're too good.

(Just put a bolded note at the beginning letting readers know how spoileresque you're going to be.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »

Those rules shouldn't apply to joem's reviews.  They're too good.

pixote

Sorry, but prices for good reviews have gone through the roof on the internets, so my next one will be malformulated.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »
Damn this economy!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »
I'm going be on holidays for the next couple weeks but please sign me up for the January MDC when it rolls around. I'll be back in time to participate :)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2009, 10:47:57 PM »
Change of plans. Steven O. Selsnik will be watching the Golden Globe nominated film

"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »
Change of plans. Steven O. Selsnik will be watching the Golden Globe nominated film

because S.O.S. is a slug and couldn't get his ass to the movie theater in time to see the initial dictation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:07:53 AM by pixote »