Author Topic: The Horse Boy  (Read 1088 times)

Brian Z

The Horse Boy
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:46:07 PM »
Was curious if anyone else out there saw the documentary The Horse Boy. It's not the best doc of the year but was actually quite moving, especially considering the chance its story had to head towards easy sentimentality. It follows one's family trip to Mongolia with their autistic son in search of a tribe of shamans known for the connection to horses, which the little boy has as well. Did a full review of here, it is below the An Education piece.

So, did anyone else see this?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:47:44 PM by Matty Ballgame »

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: The Horse Boy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
nice write-up.  yeah, this is one of my faves (my favorite?) of the year, and the best doc.  i liked that your write-up captured that the family wasn't looking for a "cure", just a bit more peace here and there.  that the father constantly questioned his motivations for doing what he was doing and filming what he was filming also made it a bit more interesting/complex without getting into the tedious self-reflexive territory we've come to expect from someone like McElwee/Moore/Spurlock.  of course, the destabilizing of western medicine is also a welcome strand.  but more than anything the story itself is so beautiful and wonderfully told.  it is a shame that the film was released in the scatter-shot manner it was, just the most abysmal plan, it should have done respectable business.  i bet it will do decent dvd sales/rental
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Brian Z

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »
Thanks for the compliments. I too hope it finds some kind of audience.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »
Just listened to Elvis Mitchell's interview with the father on The Treatment - I am really curious about the film now, and I'll certainly check it out when it comes out on dvd.

love