love

Author Topic: The "Spirited Away" Memorial Kimes Family Thanksgiving Week Miyazaki Marathon  (Read 19441 times)

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
Completely agree with melvil on the score.  It's one of Hisaishi's better ones, IMO.  Best is probably Howl's, but it's great.

Also my favorite animated film, period.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
It's not one of my favorite scores to listen to on its own, but I think it fits the movie perfectly and I love the atmosphere it creates. The movie wouldn't be the same without it, so dated or not I think it's a great use of music.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Why no Totoro?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
I kind of enjoyed the score when I watch it a couple nights ago. Dated, but it works for me.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Love this thread already. Nausicaa is brilliant (and you take that back about the score! :D).

Have you seen all of the movies in the marathon before, Steve?

Yeah, I've seen them all before.  But it's exciting to see them one after the other like this, and with my whole family making our own commentary as it's playing.  You guys are getting my own notes, but some of the best insights I'm getting from my wife and daughters, who have seen almost all of them before as well.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
Why no Totoro?

Because I can't get it.  Netflix has had me waiting for it for months, even though it's been at the top of my queue all that time.

No Ponyo because we just watched it a few weeks ago, and my youngest is ready for a re-watch but we really can't afford it right now.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
Even though he didn't direct it, and considering you're watching the "sequel", you should be watching Whisper of the Heart, too.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Great reading these so far.  And yes - I do have your copy of Spirited Away!  I need to remedy that!  :D
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
Even though he didn't direct it, and considering you're watching the "sequel", you should be watching Whisper of the Heart, too.

My daughters have proclaimed that, of all Miyazaki movies, that is the only one they despised, and they refuse to watch it.  My wife and I saw it, and it was fine, but I'm not in a hurry to watch it again.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium

My daughters have proclaimed that, of all Miyazaki movies, that is the only one they despised, and they refuse to watch it.  My wife and I saw it, and it was fine, but I'm not in a hurry to watch it again.

I think your family needs to give it another shot, it's a great, great film.