Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 76232 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2260 on: October 14, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
Season 2 of Succession just capped off an amazing run with the best season finale I've seen since The Leftovers S2. Masterfully shot dinner table scenes break down into smaller, more intimate couple scenes and the wheeling and dealing is matched only by the chickens coming home to roost in several relationships. What I love most, though, is how episodic the whole show is in its storytelling. Though storylines build across seasons and episodes, each episode is still pretty darn self-contained and I love that. It's satisfying to watch on a weekly basis. Seriously, if you aren't watching yet, get caught up before next season, which promises to be even better.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2261 on: October 14, 2019, 11:35:19 AM »
If only these shows had better pilot episodes so that I got around to S2 finales.

It may not be entirely rational but I’ll stick around if a show gets its hooks in me early, even if it fades significantly, but no amount of “it gets better” can push me through a show whose first 2-4 episodes aren’t working.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2262 on: October 14, 2019, 08:27:57 PM »
You said it Bondo.

Kicking children out windows is a good way to end a pilot episode for instance. :))

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2263 on: October 14, 2019, 08:30:56 PM »
Anyone else completely lost this season of Goliath on Prime? I don't think I can go on after 4 episodes. Too many montages of people out of their minds on witchdoctor medicine. It hasn't been entertaining.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2264 on: October 15, 2019, 12:24:26 AM »
American Horror Story Season 2 - Asylum
★ ★ ★ - Okay
This show is great for binge watching because it packs so much into a breathlessly-paced Season. This one has an exorcism scene in Episode 1. What would be a climax for many is just a set-up for one of the more exciting long-term stories. This is supported by the expansive cast, which is packed with way more star power than I expected. It initially surprised me to learn Jessica Lange was doing a television series, but the cast is all at that level, from James Cromwell to Chloë Sevigny. Most impressive is Zachary Quinto, a carry-over from Season 1. His movie career may only be Star Trek, but he's full of tricks. The series is possibly over-stuffed with too many ideas, but how rare to watch 13 X 40-minutes and not think this is taking too long.

Thanks for this.  I was uninterested where the story seemed to go after the first episode, so I quit it.  I was thinking of beginning the third season.  Now I realize I need to give it another chance.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2265 on: October 15, 2019, 12:57:17 AM »
American Horror Story season 2 - Asylum

The posters for the new season got me interested in a series I'd only seen a few episodes of here and there. Decided to start with season 2 because I liked the premise. Overall, I loved it. The cast is phenomenal. Jessica Lange gives an incredible performance. It's as big and bold, ferocious and heartbreaking as one could hope for.  Cromwell, Paulson, and Fiennes bring A-list firepower. Quinto is terrific. And Murphy gets great work from some lesser known actors. Evan Peters, who I'd only really seen as Quicksilver in the X-Men movies, is surprisingly good. And Lily Rabe as a demon-possessed nun is the unsung heroine of the season. I thought she was devilishly fun and frightening.

The season has an odd and gutsy structure. It starts very, very big with huge events and myriad storylines moving at a breakneck pace. Gradually the storylines thin out (thanks in part to numerous deaths), the pace slows down, and the focus narrows almost entirely to Paulson's decades-long family struggle.

If I have complaints, it's in a few repetitive storylines (keeping characters in the asylum), and some of the stories best villains have relatively anticlimactic demises.

This was a lot of fun. Will probably continue with Coven and Freakshow and then circle back to the first season.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2266 on: October 15, 2019, 01:44:33 PM »
Those posters got us both interested in the show. Wonder how many others had the same response? I hope whoever designed them wins a bunch of Awards.

Season 2, I keep thinking about the musical number "The Name Game". It's the boldest idea, but also the one that felt most unnecessary to me, taking it too far from the story.

The two seasons I've watched has renewed my appreciation for Jessica Lange. Her intro in Season 1 is too much, but over time she nails it.

Evan Peters is the MVP of Season 1 and between the two seasons I now get why he's so good as Quicksilver. Right behind him for me is Zachary Quinto, whose characters between the two seasons are furthest apart. In general I love watching the same actors play different characters in different seasons, where the leads of one season will have key supporting parts next time.

Looking forward to getting back to this.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2267 on: October 15, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
Here to cosign that the already great Succession had a very strong second season. Think some character work was better here, which is probably good long term for this kind of show, but did think that the first season was stronger when all was said and done. But the rap scene might be the year's best moment of television. Probably even better Greg with this season. Either way, both fantastic, excellent show.

Also really liked The Royal Gemstones, despite that Workaholics guy who I don't like most of the time.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #2268 on: Today at 02:50:49 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed Chernobyl. Finished it within 2 days while i was sick. I don't have anything bad to say about it. Only that my preference is i like more of the immediate aftermath and less of the impact months down the line. I like to see smart characters deal with impossible situations. But that's not a problem, just my preference. Everyone should've gotten emmys. I recognized Stellan Skarsgård's voice straight away but it took me a while to pinpoint it. A change in hair goes a long way.

Are there any good documentaries about Chernobyl? I'd like to know more.

Also gave a couple episodes of Fleabag a go. I was going to finish the season just because it's 4 more 25 minute episodes but i don't think i want to.

I forgot i watched The Spy as well. I don't think I've seen anyone mention it here yet. I enjoyed it. My main gripe with it is i felt there was too much convenience for the main character to get where he got. Sacha Baron Cohen gave a great performance. The fact that he always does characters anyway helped him blend in that little bit extra.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:00:11 AM by The Deer Hunter »