Author Topic: General Anime Talk/Reviews  (Read 31176 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: General Anime Talk/Reviews
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2020, 10:41:58 PM »
The Tatami Galaxy is a lot of fun for fans of Yuasa. The basic gist of (almost) every episode is the protagonist tries to develop a social life in college by joining a club, but is hampered along the way by a pompous rival, a would-be guru, and a mischievous rabble-rouser named Ozu. Each club leads to his downfall in a different way. It's really interesting to see all these variations on the same premise, no two alike but with certain beats that recur. By the 10th episode it gets totally surreal.
Switchboard
Watched 2020

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  PoorCrap

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2020, 10:43:53 PM »
The Tatami Galaxy is a lot of fun for fans of Yuasa. The basic gist of (almost) every episode is the protagonist tries to develop a social life in college by joining a club, but is hampered along the way by a pompous rival, a would-be guru, and a mischievous rabble-rouser named Ozu. Each club leads to his downfall in a different way. It's really interesting to see all these variations on the same premise, no two alike but with certain beats that recur. By the 10th episode it gets totally surreal.

I loved The Night is Short, Walk on Girl.  This sounds wonderful along those lines. (wasn't a huge fan of Mind Game)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2020, 12:45:39 AM »
That Time I Got Resurrected As a Slime

As with many of the new anime that I am reviewing, this one was recommended by my daughter, Ideathy12, who is an anime fiend.  I have to admit, this one is unique.

Our protagonist is a contractor whose employee approaches him to introduce him to his fiancee, when suddenly a person running down the street with a knife attacks them, he stands in front of the fiancee to spare her, and he dies.  While he is dying, his inmost thoughts and regrets are carefully analyzed and translated by a Siri-like entity, which become "spells" in his new, reincarnated (should I say, resurrected, because he remembers all his past life) life.

All these characters and set up are mostly forgotten in the rest of the series.

Our protagonist is resurrec...sorry... reincarnated as a slime in a world that resembles a video game more than anything else.  He first meets a dragon trapped in a cave,  helps a village of goblins being attacked by dire wolves, lizard humans get involved as well as orcs and wizards of all sorts.  What is amazing is that despite all the battles and enemies, everyone remains very friendly and almost all issues eventually get resolved.  If this is a video game, the point is not to finish a particular quest or to kill certain opponents, but to build the new-found world to be the best one can make it   A white-savior fantasy, if the "savior" is a Japanese slime who solves as many problems through manga and community as through spells and wit.

The best part is how the series doesn't take itself seriously.  It glories in its contradictions and references to Japanese pop culture.  They are having so much fun just wandering through the world, interacting with various characters, attempting to develop as many of them as possible beyond their stereotypes. 

I had a lot of fun with this one and can't wait for the second season.

4.5/5

I love this review OK, and I completely agree with everything you shared about this series.  It does not try to get too serious and even pokes fun at itself with silly asides and uncomfortable situations.  I also like as a powerful slime, he tries to be "good" by being fair, but also trying to help out the less fortunate (the monsters).  I get what you mean by a white savior, but I always thought the idea was that they were all monsters, including Rimuru (our slime), and that they shared that bond.  But on further reflection because Rimuru was a human before and now that he's transformed into a monster only he can save the inferior monsters by naming them and guiding them the best he can.  Still, without getting too deep into the symbols, I like the obvious ones of honor and friendship with the enemy, a noble aspiration to honor and befriend a defeated enemy.  There are some male gaze elements, but Rimuru remains pretty androgynous and has some leanings that do hint at a non-binary personality. I love the world building and its just a really fun anime, I'm glad you enjoyed it too. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"