Author Topic: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)  (Read 172299 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)
« Reply #1670 on: March 07, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »
Watched season 1 of Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts. i found it most enjoyable and my 6 year old daughter has been enjoying it also. Looking forward to another season (I hope there is one)

Mrs oldkid is interested, so I'll probably give it more than the ten minutes I did before i quit on it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1671 on: March 10, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »
Not sure if anyone is still watching Better Call Saul, but another pretty strong season when they don't feel obligated to get bogged down with the Breaking Bad garbage. Odenkirk continues to be fantastic.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1672 on: June 03, 2020, 07:15:24 AM »
Now that I'm done with The Sopranos (fantastic), and have gotten through my quick palette cleansers (Beastars S1, which was great even though it's probs too furry to truly enjoy, and The Great, which was, in fact, great), need to decide what my next Big Project will be to fill in these TV gaps.

So, should I watch The Wire or Twin Peaks + Fire Walk With Me (this includes S3)? If anyone has other suggestions that are easily streamable and 'essential' lmk as well, and if I haven't seen them they can go in contention too.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1673 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:29 AM »
Always The Wire.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1674 on: June 03, 2020, 07:14:24 PM »
Also considering Naruto.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1675 on: June 03, 2020, 11:14:29 PM »
Always The Wire.

Now that I've seen The Wire, it's going to be a universal rec.

What should I watch next?

Have you seen The Wire?

No.

That.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1676 on: June 04, 2020, 07:08:45 AM »
I'l fire it up, perhaps the third time is the charm.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1677 on: July 03, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »
Hamilton

Having now watched this on Disney+, I relegate it to here. Obviously it had been planned for theatrical release, and the line between movies and TV have become invisible. Ultimately the bigger factor than it launching straight to streaming is that I do think it is more recording than film. I'd say generally a really good cinematic portrait of a musical is better than an equivalent live theatre version and a live theatre version is better than a recording of a live theatre version. I'd mark Cats from the 1990s as an exception in this last case because it isn't really a live theatre performance being recorded, and it more than many benefits a lot from the proximity. In the case of Hamilton, maybe there is an element of fatigue but I got more from seeing it live with a touring cast than watching this version with the original cast (especially to the degree you compare them here to their cast recording performance vocally). There are a handful of moments where being closer adds power or makes you get a joke or gesture more, but generally it did feel very in a theatre, but with the barrier of the glass between you.

But...Hamilton is an excellent musical and not being an improvement on a 5/5 cast recording or a 5/5 live performance is not an insult. This is still a 4.5/5 experience. I do ponder if we'll see a fully cinematic adaptation at some point in the future.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1678 on: July 03, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »
Also considering Naruto.

Well worth watching.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1679 on: July 03, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
I liked the way Hamilton mixes in the audience reaction, not so loud as to feel like a laugh track and not silent so that the place feels eerie and empty.

love