love

Author Topic: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)  (Read 172592 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »
I think that's Jenny on the left, but in sketches, when they have wigs and costumes on, it's totally impossible.
Good, its not just me.
It definitely is not.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

exskiman

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2009, 11:22:56 AM »
Yeah, Boston Legal is a really fun show, though at some point (somewhere into season 4 I believe) it just becomes Kelley (not all that subtly) screaming his political views about 7 times an episode which just got annoying (not that I necessarily disagree with his views but it all becomes a bit too much). However overall its a good show with good performances across the board, especially Shader (I meant to write Spader but I rather like Shader (or Shatder or Spatner...if I had a do over I'd go with Spatner)).

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
Yeah, Boston Legal is a really fun show, though at some point (somewhere into season 4 I believe) it just becomes Kelley (not all that subtly) screaming his political views about 7 times an episode which just got annoying (not that I necessarily disagree with his views but it all becomes a bit too much). However overall its a good show with good performances across the board, especially Shader (I meant to write Spader but I rather like Shader (or Shatder or Spatner...if I had a do over I'd go with Spatner)).

Yes, to all this and still I watch it.  I like the characters who populate the show, even though some change season to season. The writers can write quirky very well and make the relationships believable when really they aren't.  Also the casting is excellent all through the series.
Texan Down Under

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »
I object to the title of this thread because it sets up a false equivalency between TV and sports.

That, and I'm feeling ornery right now.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »
Michael Schumacher back in Formula 1. I remember when I was a kid who knew nothing about racing, NASCAR, Formula 1, or any other type, I still knew who Michael Schumacher was. The greatest living driver in the world.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »
Cliff and Lilith should have been given a spin-off.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2010, 11:19:28 AM »
Something like Extras lasts for only 7 1/2 hours, right? But The Pacific is gonna be 10 or 11 hours. Yet The Pacific counts as a mini-series while Extras has two seasons and a movie. Strange.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »
Something like Extras lasts for only 7 1/2 hours, right? But The Pacific is gonna be 10 or 11 hours. Yet The Pacific counts as a mini-series while Extras has two seasons and a movie. Strange.

they measure TV in the metric system

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »
Actually, they call it 'Series 1+2' in UK land, not season. Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between Series and Season?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
I don't think the term mini-series is used all that much in British TV. It's only when those shows (e.g. Prime Suspect) get imported to North American TV do they get called a mini-series. But something like The Pacific is American made and is a format separate from regular dramas that are created with the hope that they'll run for a long time, so the format is called a mini-series.

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between Series and Season?
In American TV series refers to the program title, so Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, or The West Wing would be examples of series. Season in American TV would be the separate cycles of production, which usually runs from the fall to the spring. In UK TV they call a cycle of production a series. The hope with American TV is that the show will get strong enough ratings and the network will keep ordering new seasons, while UK TV tends to do a limited number of series (my observation anyway, others might know to the contrary).