Author Topic: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)  (Read 172601 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)
« Reply #580 on: September 13, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
After a dozen years of DirecTV I switched to Comcast (well...xfinity) today.  I guess they have streaming.  Sounds like it's just enough to be a gateway drug to their pay-per-view streaming...anyone have any experience with it?  Recommendations?

Why the switch Jeff? I've had Comcast for years now and I desperately want to get away from them, I believe ses does as well.

I had AT&T U-Verse for a few years before I moved to the city this spring and was left with Comcast as my only choice. Comcast definitely beats U-Verse when it comes to free on demand programming (which I rarely watch) but they're so damn expensive. I personally haven't had any bad experiences with Comcast (fingers crossed), but I know plenty of people that have and I definitely wouldn't use them if I had a choice.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #581 on: September 13, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »
After a dozen years of DirecTV I switched to Comcast (well...xfinity) today.  I guess they have streaming.  Sounds like it's just enough to be a gateway drug to their pay-per-view streaming...anyone have any experience with it?  Recommendations?

Why the switch Jeff? I've had Comcast for years now and I desperately want to get away from them, I believe ses does as well.

I had AT&T U-Verse for a few years before I moved to the city this spring and was left with Comcast as my only choice. Comcast definitely beats U-Verse when it comes to free on demand programming (which I rarely watch) but they're so damn expensive. I personally haven't had any bad experiences with Comcast (fingers crossed), but I know plenty of people that have and I definitely wouldn't use them if I had a choice.

A bunch of reasons, mostly because going cable saves a ton of money because phone, internet and TV go through one company.  Before, I had Qwest for internet and DirecTV.  Each had it's pricing steadily increase over the past few years.  Together it is over $200 month right now.  Comcast offered $125 / month.    As I'm sure you well aware, the industry is completely geared toward stealing each other's customers through hot introductory offers.  I'm not the least bit surprised you're leaving.  In two years I will be too.  I'm sure of it.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #582 on: September 14, 2011, 06:15:50 PM »

A bunch of reasons, mostly because going cable saves a ton of money because phone, internet and TV go through one company.  Before, I had Qwest for internet and DirecTV.  Each had it's pricing steadily increase over the past few years.  Together it is over $200 month right now.  Comcast offered $125 / month.    As I'm sure you well aware, the industry is completely geared toward stealing each other's customers through hot introductory offers.  I'm not the least bit surprised you're leaving.  In two years I will be too.  I'm sure of it.

Wow it's starting to dawn on me why people hate Comcast.  First, their utter insistence that I have to see every channel ever known to man in my channel listing when in fact I care about maybe 35 channels tops.  They have no earthly clue how a Favorites list is supposed to work.  I don't know who was more embarressed, me or my 15 year old when he scrolled by the title "Anal Midget Fantasies" while looking for ESPN.  HELP ME TIVO!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #583 on: September 14, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »
I believe "Anal Midget Fantasies" has moved to ESPN.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #584 on: September 14, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »
In all seriousness, anyone know of any hardware or hacks that are out there to block some of these superflous channels.  I have one of the newer Motorolla DVRs
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #585 on: September 14, 2011, 06:38:05 PM »
I believe "Anal Midget Fantasies" has moved to ESPN.

:D   There's a Doug Flutie joke here somewhere...
(switchboard)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #586 on: September 14, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
Up All Night- Loved it.
Free Agents- Hated it.
Still have to see Ringer.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »
Looking forward to Up All Night, and not just because it's my life right now.

Written at 5:45 am on 90 minutes of sleep.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #588 on: September 15, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
Indeed!

We did watch the pilot of The New Girl, which looks to be potentially entertaining in a Cougartown kinda way.  The fact that it stars Damon Wayans Jr makes me feel old, though.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #589 on: September 15, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »
The fact that it stars Damon Wayans Jr makes me feel old, though.
He's only on the pilot, if that makes you feel better.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love