love

Author Topic: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)  (Read 172626 times)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
Re: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)
« Reply #1130 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:21 AM »
First 3 episodes of Orange is the New Black were very good. A nice subversion of the "everyone in prison is either evil or wrongly convicted" things that generally happen in stories like the one being told here. Also, I really like the use of flashbacks for the side characters as well as the main character. It's a pretty well done device.

Just finished episode 4 myself and I agree with everything you said. The series just feels fresh, unique, and its a lot of fun. I finished the past few episodes with a smile on my face, which when I think about most movies/shows about prisons, that doesn't tend to happen much. I really like how diverse and different each character feels. And a Starfleet captain is playing the prison chef!

I got a huge kick out of the librarian in ep. 4's few lines about Harry Potter/Ulysses.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1131 on: July 17, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
Finished Top Of The Lake. Thematically I liked how it approached things, and visually it was a marvel, but it wasn't until episodes six and seven that the pacing really started to work for me completely. I get why it's paced the way it is, there's supposed to be this sense of exhaustion to mirror Robin's struggles and frustrations while on the case, but much like in something like The Thin Red Line that makes use of similar tactics it's tough for me to completely embrace. Still, really liked the miniseries.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1132 on: July 21, 2013, 12:26:08 AM »
The scared straight scene in ep 10 of Orange is the New Black might be one of the funniest scenes of the year.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #1133 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:17 PM »
The scared straight scene in ep 10 of Orange is the New Black might be one of the funniest scenes of the year.

That was great.

Taystee and Poussey are hilarious in every scene. From one-liners ("Planet Earth bitches!") to speeches (the fried-chicken political platform), their rapport tends to steal most scenes.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1134 on: July 24, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
I finished that yesterday. Aside from the first couple of episodes I really liked the first season a pretty great deal. There's just so much to the characters, and I'm glad that very few are just there to fill the world out. Though, I mean, I guess the world itself is pretty crazy as well since it's ostensibly a 'real' place but the show also highlights how it's removed from reality. Like a fishbowl, to quote Larry's dad (who plays this guy?). Oh yeah, Jason Biggs is the shit because he's Jason Biggs. The two most engaging performances were probably the largest ones in Suzanne and Tiffany. Woman who plays Piper is something else in that role as well though, really sells all the stuff that bubbles under the surface and I mean that's kind of the most interesting part of Piper's character. Can't wait for the next season, I loved how this one ended (spoiler thread?). I like the potential future plot points that have been set up as well in regard to that woman who works under the warden but apparently above Capputo.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1135 on: July 24, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1136 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
Thanks, guy looks familiar but going through his credits I still don't know where I've seen him (even if I have heard him in many games, apparently).

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1137 on: July 24, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
guy looks familiar

Very much so. (I'm thinking commercials.)

By the way, here's the real Larry's NEW YORK TIMES article.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1138 on: July 24, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
guy looks familiar

Very much so. (I'm thinking commercials.)

By the way, here's the real Larry's NEW YORK TIMES article.

Of interest, I didn't realize this show was based on people IRL.

EDIT: A memoir, huh? I knew they gained popularity in recent years. Perhaps I should read this in a Game of Thrones~esque manner to prepare myself for upcoming seasons, knowing who will chop off whom's head, watching each episode that Netflix dumps all at once shaking my head wondering why it can't be as good as the book.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:28:51 PM by FLYmeatwad »

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1139 on: July 24, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
Of interest, I didn't realize this show was based on people IRL.

It's loosely based on this memoir.

love