Author Topic: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)  (Read 172623 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)
« Reply #1190 on: December 20, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »
Anyone else catch Getting On on HBO last night?

I liked it quite a bit and will most likely keep watching, but I also saw in the end credits that it's based on a BBC series of the same name (the title, in retrospect, does seem much more British than American!), and now, I'm much more curious to see the original, which is supposed to be great, than in continuing with the American version.

Has anyone else seen/liked the UK version? And how can I get a hold of it?

I've been recording this, but haven't watched it yet.  Did you hear the Slate Culture Gabfest review of the show, they didn't seem to be fans, bu they said that the Slate's TV critic liked it.
I heard the review - so disappointing, primarily because I expect better of them in terms of reviews. They weren't really reviewing the show itself, I didn't think, but rather punishing it for not being the show they expected it to be; essentially, they didn't really assess the show on its own terms. I commented on the Slate Facebook thread (scroll down to Dec. 4) if you want to see my more specific complaints about what they said in their review; I also commented on what I appreciate about the show. It's not perfect TV, but I think it's really quite good.

I hope you do check out Getting On - I'd love to hear what you think!

I agree, they seemed to have expectations about what the show would be, and they were reviewing the fact that it didn't live up to those expectations, and it seemed like they pulled an audio clip from the show that probably doesn't represent the show well. I will definitely let you know once I get a chance to watch it. 

I haven't seen Getting On, so I don't know if I like it or not, but I often find the Gabfest tends to not do TV very well. I guess to be fair it can be hard to understand a show based on 1 or 2 episodes, particularly the first 1 or 2, but in general Steve and Dana tend to be pretty disengaged when it comes to TV segments.

Yeah, it must be hard to review something in that manner.  I always try to give a show some time to find its footing.  There are some shows (like Orange is the New Black) that they really liked, but yes, for the most part it does seem that way, Matt.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #1191 on: December 20, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
Anyone else watching The Returned? After hearing the Slate Culture Gabfest discussion, I decided to catch the second episode when it aired on Sundance - and then promptly caught up with the first on iTunes.

Really loving it so far. Beautifully atmospheric and gorgeously shot. Superb cast.

Was irritated that it wasn't available on Sundance On Demand but then I learned of the marathons throughout December.  Last marathon is airing this Sunday, I finally can catch up with it  8)
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1192 on: December 20, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
I haven't seen Getting On, so I don't know if I like it or not, but I often find the Gabfest tends to not do TV very well. I guess to be fair it can be hard to understand a show based on 1 or 2 episodes, particularly the first 1 or 2, but in general Steve and Dana tend to be pretty disengaged when it comes to TV segments.

Yeah, it must be hard to review something in that manner.  I always try to give a show some time to find its footing.  There are some shows (like Orange is the New Black) that they really liked, but yes, for the most part it does seem that way, Matt.
Yes, good point, Matt. I've often wished they'd do a follow-up segment on some of the shows they've reviewed once a season is finished - if they've watched the whole season, that is.

Anyone else watching The Returned? After hearing the Slate Culture Gabfest discussion, I decided to catch the second episode when it aired on Sundance - and then promptly caught up with the first on iTunes.

Really loving it so far. Beautifully atmospheric and gorgeously shot. Superb cast.

Was irritated that it wasn't available on Sundance On Demand but then I learned of the marathons throughout December.  Last marathon is airing this Sunday, I finally can catch up with it  8)
Yay! Looking forward to hearing what you think! I have the last ep/season finale on my DVR - hoping to get a chance to watch tonight.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1193 on: December 20, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
We are currently watching The Returned.  I heard on Hitfix podcast that even though it doesn't end after this season, it has an emotionally satisfying ending, but it doesn't solve anything.

Victor is a creepy kid; but, more than that, do you think he's representative of anything? He is the zombie that has returned more than once.
Texan Down Under

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1194 on: December 21, 2013, 12:59:09 AM »
We are currently watching The Returned.  I heard on Hitfix podcast that even though it doesn't end after this season, it has an emotionally satisfying ending, but it doesn't solve anything.

Victor is a creepy kid; but, more than that, do you think he's representative of anything? He is the zombie that has returned more than once.
Yeah, I don't think there's a way everything could be answered/wrapped up (still need to finish the last ep!), but I've been hoping there would be something that would offer some kind of closure.

I've been thinking, too, Victor seems significant - the part of the last ep I've seen has made me wonder all the more about him.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1196 on: January 04, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »
While I disagree with the placement, it's refreshing to read one of these lists that does not include Breaking Bad.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1197 on: January 08, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
I noticed both Edwardian Farm and Victorian Farm are available on Youtube. Such great series if you're into that sort of thing!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1198 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
Bookmarked!

I've got them sitting right next to Mastercrafts. Now, to find time to delve in.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass