love

Author Topic: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)  (Read 172587 times)

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
Re: General/Random Discussion and Thoughts (TV & Sports)
« Reply #1390 on: March 19, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
I never really thought one way or the other about Amanda Peet's acting ability, but she's pretty fantastic in Togetherness.

She is fantastic. I liked her in Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip as well. That show... not so much.

I also liked her on 'Studio 60', I also liked the show as well...each to their own. I haven't seen 'Togetherness' though.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1391 on: March 19, 2016, 09:02:19 PM »
I never really thought one way or the other about Amanda Peet's acting ability, but she's pretty fantastic in Togetherness.
She's great! Togetherness is great, too.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1392 on: March 19, 2016, 10:11:58 PM »
She's great! Togetherness is great, too.

It really is.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #1393 on: March 26, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX-BCKutDh0

As annoying as some of them can be, there's something that gets me excited when a dramatic recap sets the mood at the beginning of an episode.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1394 on: March 26, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX-BCKutDh0

As annoying as some of them can be, there's something that gets me excited when a dramatic recap sets the mood at the beginning of an episode.

I thought that Twin Peaks started with a fake "previously on" which I thought was a brilliant way to speed through the exposition. I was disappointed to realize that there was a pilot that wasn't included in the box set.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1395 on: March 29, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »
Back when I watched television like a heathen, waiting a week between episodes, watching at a specific time and date on a specific channel, watching ads...I never remembered being particularly lost by a show, even when returning from a summer break. Granted, television in that age was much more episodic with only broad season/series arcs, so there wasn't much to keep up on.

Now we are in the age of binge-watching, and that has morphed how series are designed to make much denser season arcs. This works okay either binged as a whole or even week to week like HBO displays them. What it doesn't manage as well is returning for a season after a year off. I just watched Happy Valley and it handled this reasonably well because while there were connections to the first season's story, you only really needed a few key things refreshed to dive right in and then move on with the new primary focus. Just starting into The Revenants and I'm completely at sea. Even though I loved the first season, I remember so little about the actual plot. Hannibal is another show where the gap between season 1 and 2 basically crushed my ability to get back into things (if for mood if not for plot).

Anybody else have this problem?

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #1396 on: March 29, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
Considering that I actually force myself to wait a long time before I watch a new season, no. :P On a lot of shows, they like to set the new season "one year later" or "eleven months later", so it would throw me off a little if I just watch the new season immediately.

Now, as to whether if I have the problem of remembering the story, yeah, I definitely recognize the problem. It helps when the new season recaps the previous season (as most American serials do), but even then, there are intricate little details that you sometimes forget. And it's not just different seasons. With Les Revenants, sometimes, I'm forced to remember the details between different episodes if I don't binge-watch them because each episode contains so much complexity.

An interesting note is that I'd often encountered this problem not just with live action serials, but with anime as well. With the complexity of some anime, it can also get a bit jarring to step into a new season not remembering the previous one.

I guess a good solution is to read up the Wikipedia notes to help jog your memory. Or search YouTube for the various clips from the previous season to catch up.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #1397 on: March 29, 2016, 11:27:51 PM »
Well, with Les revenants the gap was pretty big (2 years), so it seems not too strange feeling a bit lost. Since there were only 8 episodes, and since it was one of the few outstanding TV experiences for me, I chose to rewatch the first season before I started the second one. The downside of that approach might have been that I judged S2 too harshly with the excellence of S1 fresh in my mind.

Funny side note: Binge-watching those two seasons of Les revenants caused a strange case of tunnel vision for me. I started with Jessica Jones afterwards, and when the lawyer popped up, I thought, great, I didn't know Clotilde Hesme was on that show too. After a while I noticed of course that it wasn't Clotilde Hesme, but I couldn't for the live of me remember the name of the actual actress, and I had to consult IMDb to remind me that it was Carry-Anne Moss I was looking at.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:33:10 PM by goodguy »

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #1398 on: March 30, 2016, 10:04:02 AM »
Is anyone planning on watching Hulu's The Path? I probably won't get to it for a while since it's on Hulu, but I'm curious to hear reactions from this forum.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Totoro

« Reply #1399 on: April 06, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
ANIMANIACS is on Netflix.

Goodbye y'all.