love

Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50171 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
I'm just relieved to see Sandra Bullock recognized for both her dramatic and comedic roles.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
The Golden Globes are a joke at this point. They nominate The Hangover, but not Up. The fail to nominated Breaking Bad for either Drama or Actor. They ignore A Serious Man. Meryl is nominated twice in the same category. Ugh.

wait, at this point?  next thing you'll be telling us the Oscars are a joke, too.  the horror.  the horror.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2009, 09:37:02 AM »
The Golden Globes are a joke at this point. They nominate The Hangover, but not Up. The fail to nominated Breaking Bad for either Drama or Actor. They ignore A Serious Man. Meryl is nominated twice in the same category. Ugh.

wait, at this point?  next thing you'll be telling us the Oscars are a joke, too.  the horror.  the horror.

:D

That comedy list is really weak, though the inclusion of Up would only serve to make it more of a joke.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »
FLY, complain all you want about UP, but it is likely the most critically acclaimed film of the year AND it has one of the highest grosses of the year. Both of those together should amount to something. And considering the Golden Globes have nominated Pixar films in that category in the past (and Toy Story 2 even won) I just don't see why it was left off in favour of at least three of the films on that list. Hell, I didn't realize anybody even liked Julie and Julia.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

exskiman

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »
I cry fowl over Breaking Bad (hasn't Malcolm-in-the-middle-dad (aww I feel bad I forgot his name - he is great though!) been winning the emmy for the last 2 years? how can he not even be nominated?) and A Serious Man (granted I feel its been a fairly weak year for cinema (maybe a lot of good things that I've simply never heard of) but this would definitely make my top 3 of the year so far).

Haha Bullock got a double nomination...I hope she wins both of them so she can become the second person to ever do that after Eddie Murphy's shocking double win for Dreamgirls and Norbit. (seriously though out of curiosity and assuming for just a moment that anybody actually cares - has anyone done that before? Can Bullock make history?) 

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:28 AM »
Hunger or Afterschool(is Afterschool a debut?)

And the two front runners for Best Pic are definitely The Hurt Locker and Up In The Air.

I would bet money that Bigelow is gonna be the first female to win Best Director.

this is a golden selling point - why is this the first time i've ever heard anyone mention it? (as usual i'll assume its my fault)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
The fail to nominated Breaking Bad for either Drama or Actor.
I thought that was strange too. Was BB on hiatus during the period of eligibility? Just wondering, because Cranston has been winning everything lately.

I'm just relieved to see Sandra Bullock recognized for both her dramatic and comedic roles.
:D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
Female or not, The Hurt Locker is the best directed film of the year (sorry Quentin). She makes the perfect choice at every step.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »
FLY, complain all you want about UP, but it is likely the most critically acclaimed film of the year AND it has one of the highest grosses of the year. Both of those together should amount to something. And considering the Golden Globes have nominated Pixar films in that category in the past (and Toy Story 2 even won) I just don't see why it was left off in favour of at least three of the films on that list. Hell, I didn't realize anybody even liked Julie and Julia.

Critics are dumb, sometimes even more so than the general public.

Female or not, The Hurt Locker is the best directed film of the year (sorry Quentin). She makes the perfect choice at every step.

I do not agree with either of these statements, but the second one is much easier to defend, I think.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
Every time these awards lists pop up, I think, "Wait, who did Colin Firth play in A Serious Man?  I don't remember him."

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love