Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50172 times)

Wilson

• Elite Member
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »

Ans while The Blind Side being nominated is utter bullcrap, I think it's also a sign of the politics of this year's Oscars. The push is to be more audience-friendly, and what better way than including a film for everyone (Avatar), a film for the middle-aged women and southerners (The Blind Side), and a film for the action lovers and total geeks (District 9). Could you imagine if all of those very successful films were beat out by The Hurt Locker? It would be a dream come true. It would leave just about the entire audience yelling at the screen because they haven't seen the movie, but it would maybe prompt a lot more of them to check it out it.

Eh, surely it's going to be more of a surprise if The Hurt Locker doesn't win?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
The Hurt Locker featured prominantly in my Filmspot ballot (perhaps helped by seeing it again the night before) and I'm glad to see Renner get a nom. What I'm not so happy about is the lack of anything for WTWTA. Max Records surely deserves some kind of something. Let's hope we fix that.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »
I think I'm most disappointed that Bright Star didn't get a cinematography nomination.

Don't know if that's because I'm OK with the rest, or my expectations were just really low.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
I just don't understand why A Serious Man was nominated (deservedly) for Best Picture and then basically ignored in every other category. Also if Christoph Waltz doesn't win, I'm done with movies.

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
I just don't understand why A Serious Man was nominated (deservedly) for Best Picture and then basically ignored in every other category. Also if Christoph Waltz doesn't win, I'm done with movies.

I'm sure you mean that if Christoph Waltz doesn't win, you'll be done with award shows, not movies. I would feel very sad for you if that were the case.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:17 AM »
I just don't understand why A Serious Man was nominated (deservedly) for Best Picture and then basically ignored in every other category.

The only other place it really had a shot was Best Actor (other than screenplay, which it got).  It just wasn't flashy enough in any of the technical categories, and Actor was stacked this year with longtime Academy favorites.    Even Christopher Plummer didn't get a nomination.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
Even Christopher Plummer didn't get a nomination.

Best Supporting Actor, actually. I've never heard of the movie.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
It would benefit no one if The Hurt Locker beat out the more deserving films.

Less deserving films often eek out wins at the Oscars. So I try and make the best of it by saying this: in a fight between Avatar and The Hurt Locker, The Hurt Locker easily deserves to win.

Ans while The Blind Side being nominated is utter bullcrap, I think it's also a sign of the politics of this year's Oscars. The push is to be more audience-friendly, and what better way than including a film for everyone (Avatar), a film for the middle-aged women and southerners (The Blind Side), and a film for the action lovers and total geeks (District 9). Could you imagine if all of those very successful films were beat out by The Hurt Locker? It would be a dream come true. It would leave just about the entire audience yelling at the screen because they haven't seen the movie, but it would maybe prompt a lot more of them to check it out it.

Eh, surely it's going to be more of a surprise if The Hurt Locker doesn't win?

Do not count out Avatar.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
I think the answer to that (and some of the questions regarding District 9 or The Blind Side) may be that it's now a ten nominee-category and they needed something to fill it up.
I also liked how The Hollywood Reporter had to point out that, surprisingly, only five of the Best Pictures nominees got a nod for Directing too.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:52 AM »

I'm sure you mean that if Christoph Waltz doesn't win, you'll be done with award shows, not movies. I would feel very sad for you if that were the case.

Well yeah. I just haven't felt this strongly about a nomination ever before.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd