Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50197 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »
Calling it now.  Best director will go to Bigalow for Hurt Locker because she is a woman, and best picture to Avatar because it a crowd pleaser and they want to be relevant.  It should be opposite though, Cameron really moved film technology forward and deserves director nod, Hurt Locker is the better movie though and deserves best picture.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
Calling it now.  Best director will go to Bigalow for Hurt Locker because she is a woman, and best picture to Avatar because it a crowd pleaser and they want to be relevant.  It should be opposite though, Cameron really moved film technology forward and deserves director nod, Hurt Locker is the better movie though and deserves best picture.

Wow, that's offensive.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2010, 11:37:19 AM »
Has everyone who is posting that Avatar will win/was nominated simply because it's a crowd pleaser stopped to think about all of the people, both casual and hardcore, who legitimately loved the film and that if it does win it will be because a number of voters fall into that camp? Don't like the film all you want, but all of this, "Anything involving Avatar and the Oscars=fan service" talk is becoming very, very annoying.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
If Avatar wins Best Picture is will be so LOL bad as to make the Oscars a laughing stock.

The biggest travesty is Fantastic Mr Fox is not going to win anything! Stupid Up.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »

If Cameron winning Best Director is because of his pushing forward film technology then he should simply win some sort of achievement award. His direction is ultimately the sum of the film's parts, and the film does not work on a number of levels, many of which have to do with Cameron's directing. The worst offense, in my opinion, is his totally masturbatory slow motion shots. The Hurt Locker uses slow motion in a new and relevant way, but Cameron puts them in Avatar just to jack off on audiences' faces. It's a small thing, but it's an example of how Cameron innovates with technology but does little interesting with it.

Also, I would argue that the work Peter Jackson did with the Lord of the Rings trilogy pushed film technology much further than Avatar did. The only difference is that Jackson built the technology into the fabric of his film so that it isn't the most noticeably important part, whereas Cameron felt the need to make a movie where the only thing about it worth seeing is the technology.

If Avatar wins Best Picture is will be so LOL bad as to make the Oscars a laughing stock.

The biggest travesty is Fantastic Mr Fox is not going to win anything! Stupid Up.

I hate you a lot sometimes.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »

Sigh, and somewhere someone is saying the same thing about The Hurt Locker. Statements like this aren't helpful in any way and certainly don't add anything to the discussion.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »

Wow, that's offensive.

No its not, everyone is saying it.  Heck,  Hurt Locker is my #1 movie of the year, but the Academy likes to "make history" (several decades after the actual history has been made).
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:44 AM »

I hate you a lot sometimes.

Up was fun enough but Fox was so great it's sad it has no chance.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »
I'm excited.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
No, it doesn't. As I said, Avatar should be recognized over The Hurt Locker for numerous reasons, the obvious being the accomplishment and mark it has already left on cinema and movie making in general. Aside from pioneering a new form of technology and mostly knocking it out of the park with his first go around, Cameron also crafts a film that makes going to the cinema worthwhile, he delivers an experience. On top of that the film is pretty good on its own, but as a whole it is certainly the nominee most deserving of recognition. Rarely in recent memory has Best Picture meant anything close to being the actual best film released, it's too subjective of a word to have a clearly defined winner. Instead, awarding Avatar, a better film than The Hurt Locker anyhow, recognition as Best Picture because of the entire product, the cultural influence, the technological leaps and bounds, the creativity on display, and the technical prowess, as well as the unlike any other experience one can have at a theater is much more justified than tossing an award to Bigelow for having good editors and making a film that, after the Iraq conflict passes and politics calm down, will be possibly recalled as a footnote in cinema. Plus The Hurt Locker just isn't that great.

Though you may, once again, be trying to make a case that The Hurt Locker is somehow more deserving of an audience than any other film nominated, which is, as I have said and explained before, a completely ludicrous statement backed by flimsy logic.

Also, neither Cameron nro Bigelow deserve Best Director, but if one is to win then it should be Cameron.

Additionally, Clovis is on the mark about FMF, it's a damn shame what's going to happen to that brilliant piece of film-making.

love