Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 26397 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »

The biggest travesty is Fantastic Mr Fox is not going to win anything! Stupid Up.

I hate you a lot sometimes.

Up was fun enough but Fox was so great it's sad it has no chance.

That is how I felt with Waltz with Bashir and Sita losing out to WALL-E.  Just rename it the Pixar Category and be done with it.
Ive lied to men who wear belts. Ive lied to men who wear suspenders. But Id never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
the accomplishment and mark it has already left on cinema and movie making in general

This is totally a Clovis8 argument, so I'm sure he'll agree with you.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
The low point has to be best supporting actress. There are no great performances in it all. It's like a whole category of Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
Calling it now.  Best director will go to Bigalow for Hurt Locker because she is a woman, and best picture to Avatar because it a crowd pleaser and they want to be relevant.  It should be opposite though, Cameron really moved film technology forward and deserves director nod, Hurt Locker is the better movie though and deserves best picture.

Wow, that's offensive.

No its not, everyone is saying it.  Heck,  Hurt Locker is my #1 movie of the year, but the Academy likes to "make history" (several decades after the actual history has been made).

So a lot of people saying something doesn't make the 'something' in question offensive?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
If Avatar wins Best Picture is will be so LOL bad as to make the Oscars a laughing stock.

The biggest travesty is Fantastic Mr Fox is not going to win anything! Stupid Up.

I know we're good friends because even after saying all this I still like you.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:47 AM »
Calling it now.  Best director will go to Bigalow for Hurt Locker because she is a woman, and best picture to Avatar because it a crowd pleaser and they want to be relevant.  It should be opposite though, Cameron really moved film technology forward and deserves director nod, Hurt Locker is the better movie though and deserves best picture.

Wow, that's offensive.

No its not, everyone is saying it.  Heck,  Hurt Locker is my #1 movie of the year, but the Academy likes to "make history" (several decades after the actual history has been made).

Oh okay, you are right.  I'm not offended after all.  I mean, everyone is saying it.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
the accomplishment and mark it has already left on cinema and movie making in general

pixote

It is my kind of argument, however, it in no way applies to Avatar which will be roundly forgotten on all best of list and most important film lists 20 years from now. It's legacy will be purely technical and financial. Not artistic.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • By any seeds necessary.
    • justAtad
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »
I hate you a lot sometimes.
Up was fun enough but Fox was so great it's sad it has no chance.

I really think the love for Fantastic Mr.. Fox will be lower when the charm wears off. It's a great film, but it isn't the best animated film of the year. Up is an absolutely magical, emotional ride of a film that I can see living on as a classic. Fantastic Mr. Fox, while excellent, will live on as one of those "Oh man, it's such a great little movie." "Never heard of it." "Oh dude, you have to see it." type of movies.

Then again, last year everyone here was over the moon for Wall-E and I'm the one that had to bring it back to reality. Looking back, do all of you think that it was the best film of the year? I hope not.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »

pixote

That's true. Though it has already started to leave a mark on the way blockbusters are being made. It has shown that 3-D is a viable box office grab and has made Warner Bros commit to going full on 3-D for the next two Harry Potter films. I am being a bit hyperbolic in my claim there, but it has certainly had an immediate impact on the way films are being made.

The low point has to be best supporting actress. There are no great performances in it all. It's like a whole category of Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny.

Penelope CINECAST!ing Cruz!

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2010, 11:57:01 AM »
I always think that voting in the Filmspots will make people less likely to essentialize what "the Academy" wants and is doing with their votes, as if they all got together in a room and hashed out the nominees and winners with respect towards public relations, history, ratings, etc.

I'm always wrong.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.