Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50173 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
Even Christopher Plummer didn't get a nomination.

Best Supporting Actor, actually. I've never heard of the movie.

Huh.  How about that.

I'll never understand the Lead/Supporting distinction.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »
I'm the one that had to bring it back to reality

Hahahahahaha.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »
the accomplishment and mark it has already left on cinema and movie making in general

This is totally a Clovis8 argument, so I'm sure he'll agree with you.

pixote

It is my kind of argument, however, it is not way applies to Avatar which will be roundly forgotten on all best of list and most important film lists 20 years from now. It's legacy will be purely technical and financial. Not artistic.

It's so nice to know that I need not worry about the future because I have you here to tell me with authority what will definitively happen. Especially in cinema, I mean, it's not like you've been wrong countless times in the past, nor is it in any way the case that almost every film Cameron has ever made is still remembered and thought of very highly years after their respective releases. I'm so happy that you are so correct on Avatar, so so happy to read that.  ::)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
Calling it now.  Best director will go to Bigalow for Hurt Locker because she is a woman, and best picture to Avatar because it a crowd pleaser and they want to be relevant.  It should be opposite though, Cameron really moved film technology forward and deserves director nod, Hurt Locker is the better movie though and deserves best picture.

Wow, that's offensive.

No its not, everyone is saying it.  Heck,  Hurt Locker is my #1 movie of the year, but the Academy likes to "make history" (several decades after the actual history has been made).

So a lot of people saying something doesn't make the 'something' in question offensive?

Not when its true.  Its offensive that the Academy considers gender/race/politics etc. when making award decisions, but it shouldn't be offensive to point out that fact.  
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »
I always think that voting in the Filmspots will make people less likely to essentialize what "the Academy" wants and is doing with their votes, as if they all got together in a room and hashed out the nominees and winners with respect towards public relations, history, ratings, etc.

I'm always wrong.

pixote

I've re-read this several times and I still can figure out what you are saying here.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »
That is how I felt with Waltz with Bashir and Sita losing out to WALL-E.  Just rename it the Pixar Category and be done with it.
I really liked Waltz With Bashir and Mr. Fox.  But in general there's a wide gap between the level of quality entertainment Pixar delivers tme after time and the 2nd best animated film of the year.

Let's not forget that Spirited Away and Wallace & Gromit have also won this award.

The Pixar streak will be broken with Cars 2.  I have very little doubt of that.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
Shocked about Ponyo too.  Curse of Cyrus/Jonas?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
Has Wes Anderson committed to a next project yet? I'm way interested to see what he'll do to follow up FMF.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »
Then again, last year everyone here was over the moon for Wall-E and I'm the one that had to bring it back to reality. Looking back, do all of you think that it was the best film of the year?

I thought Milk was the best film of the year.  Wall-E was 2nd.  Waltz With Bashir was 3rd.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »
Shocked about Ponyo too.  Curse of Cyrus/Jonas?

Likely, it's way trendy to bash those names and with all the pandering to the crowds there could be little risk of associating with such brands that produce so much unwarranted hate.