love

Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50215 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2010, 12:04:17 PM »
That is how I felt with Waltz with Bashir and Sita losing out to WALL-E.  Just rename it the Pixar Category and be done with it.
I really liked Waltz With Bashir and Mr. Fox.  But in general there's a wide gap between the level of quality entertainment Pixar delivers tme after time and the 2nd best animated film of the year.

Let's not forget that Spirited Away and Wallace & Gromit have also won this award.

The Pixar streak will be broken with Cars 2.  I have very little doubt of that.

The first 30 minutes of Up are far superior to anything in Fox, the rest is not even close to Fox.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
I always think that voting in the Filmspots will make people less likely to essentialize what "the Academy" wants and is doing with their votes, as if they all got together in a room and hashed out the nominees and winners with respect towards public relations, history, ratings, etc.

The academy is highly politicized and always has been.  They prove it over and over again every year.  When you have a bunch of people with very similar politics, financial interests, and social outlook, they don't need to gather together in a torchlit basement.    
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
That is how I felt with Waltz with Bashir and Sita losing out to WALL-E.  Just rename it the Pixar Category and be done with it.
I really liked Waltz With Bashir and Mr. Fox.  But in general there's a wide gap between the level of quality entertainment Pixar delivers tme after time and the 2nd best animated film of the year.

Let's not forget that Spirited Away and Wallace & Gromit have also won this award.

The first 30 minutes of Up are far superior to anything in Fox, the rest is not even close to Fox.

That is a fallacy.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »
Shocked about Ponyo too.  Curse of Cyrus/Jonas?

Maybe, I'm not sure. Usually Miyazaki's name is good enough for consideration alone, and the movie did get positive reviews almost across the board. It's especially shocking that in a year where they actually nominate five films Ponyo didn't make the cut.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »

Though both those movies won in years with no Pixar. But Pixar has lost twice. Shrek beat Monsters Inc. and the insufferable Happy Feet beat Cars.

Also, I will be waiting to see Cars 2 before I reserve judgment. I have grown to really love Cars due to the wonderful characters and beautiful visuals, and I can definitely see a sequel being good so long as the story is halfway decent and the characters are not screwed up.

I'm the one that had to bring it back to reality
Hahahahahaha.

pixote

I hope you are laughing in acknowledgment.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
Shocked about Ponyo too.  Curse of Cyrus/Jonas?

Maybe, I'm not sure. Usually Miyazaki's name is good enough for consideration alone, and the movie did get positive reviews almost across the board. It's especially shocking that in a year where they actually nominate five films Ponyo didn't make the cut.

It's a bad year for foreign film noms all-around.  Is White Ribbon's cinematography nomination the only one?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2010, 12:10:45 PM »

It's a bad year for foreign film noms all-around.  Is White Ribbon's cinematography nomination the only one?

I can't recall seeing any others.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
I always think that voting in the Filmspots will make people less likely to essentialize what "the Academy" wants and is doing with their votes, as if they all got together in a room and hashed out the nominees and winners with respect towards public relations, history, ratings, etc.

I'm always wrong.

I've re-read this several times and I still can figure out what you are saying here.

I was thinking, for example, about the idea that there was a concerted effort, by the Academy, to have a slate of Best Picture nominees that offered something for everyone.  I can't imagine that being a concern of any individual voter.  Likewise, I can't imagine a Filmspot voter being like, huh, Gomorrah was just okay, but I'm going to vote for it for Best Picture anyway because it'd be great if we had a foreign language film in the mix this year.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
Calling it now.  Best director will go to Bigalow for Hurt Locker because she is a woman, and best picture to Avatar because it a crowd pleaser and they want to be relevant.  It should be opposite though, Cameron really moved film technology forward and deserves director nod, Hurt Locker is the better movie though and deserves best picture.

Wow, that's offensive.

No its not, everyone is saying it.  Heck,  Hurt Locker is my #1 movie of the year, but the Academy likes to "make history" (several decades after the actual history has been made).

Your original post, beginning with "Calling it now," makes it sound like it's your own personal view, not  some sort of conventional wisdom.

I don't think "moving technology forward" is sufficient to deserve best director.  The best director has to produce a complete package, and while I really liked Avatar a lot, it is flawed in terms of the plot.  I haven't seen Hurt Locker so I can't really comment, but your post makes it sound like Bigelow is completely undeserving and is only receiving some sort of affirmative action.  But if Hurt Locker is a better overall movie, I don't see why Best Director would be undeserved.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »

You mean is The White Ribbon's cinematography the only cinematography nomination from a foreign film, because Cruz is in the Pedro film.

love