Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50198 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »
I always think that voting in the Filmspots will make people less likely to essentialize what "the Academy" wants and is doing with their votes, as if they all got together in a room and hashed out the nominees and winners with respect towards public relations, history, ratings, etc.

I'm always wrong.

I've re-read this several times and I still can figure out what you are saying here.

I was thinking, for example, about the idea that there was a concerted effort, by the Academy, to have a slate of Best Picture nominees that offered something for everyone.  I can't imagine that being a concern of any individual voter.  Likewise, I can't imagine a Filmspot voter being like, huh, Gomorrah was just okay, but I'm going to vote for it for Best Picture anyway because it'd be great if we had a foreign language film in the mix this year.

pixote

In other words, the Academy is not an individual entity.

"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »
Reading back in this thread inforces the idea that all Oscar discussion on the internet is like that discussion scene in The Fellowship Of The Ring.
Are you hearing evil, whispering voices while we all shout our opinions at each other?

"...Where The Wild Things Are...Not a single nomination.....Marketing wins these things....booooooo....."
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
I'm still very happy with the move to ten best picture nominees.  I can't wait for the year when one of the five whose director(s) didn't get nominated ends up winning.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »
I didn't really fall head-over-heels in love with any movies this year, so I'm not too heartbroken with the nominations.  There were several performance that grabbed me that I didn't see recognized. I'm a little sad about Sam Rockwell. That seemed like a lock. Oh and Wikus form District 9.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
I'm still very happy with the move to ten best picture nominees.  I can't wait for the year when one of the five whose director(s) didn't get nominated ends up winning.

pixote

That would be nice, but it will never happen.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
Everyone has their own, unique opinion, so I just skipped reading the last 8 pages.

And let this day, Tuesday, February 2, 2010, be forever known as 1SO's day of rest.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »

Films have won before without their directors being nominated, you know?  Additional best picture nominees doesn't make that any more or less likely.  Just cooler.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
Yeah but in these modern times the two awards go hand in hand, right?

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »

Films have won before without their directors being nominated, you know?  Additional best picture nominees doesn't make that any more or less likely.  Just cooler.

pixote

The Blind Side is totally gonna win this year.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
Yeah but in these modern times the two awards go hand in hand, right?
True. Driving Miss Daisy in 1989 has been the most recent case and usually directors win too.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love