Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50165 times)

petu

Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
Philip, you really expected A Serious Man? I'm pleased because I expected it to be "too weird" for the Academy.
I was pretty sure that it would get in because it's kind of love/hate film, so it would end up high on many ballots. It's the films which were 6-10 on many ballots, but not in the top5, that didn't get nomination.

The only big suprise for me was The Blind Side. I thought Bullock's probable win would be as much recognition they want to show to that film, but maybe they're trying really hard to be relevant in eyes of mainstream audiences.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2010, 04:04:01 PM »

I haven't seen Hurt Locker so I can't really comment, but your post makes it sound like Bigelow is completely undeserving and is only receiving some sort of affirmative action.  But if Hurt Locker is a better overall movie, I don't see why Best Director would be undeserved.

I never said Bigelow is "completely undeserving" in fact Hurt Locker is the best film of the year.  But she will win atleast partly because of political considerations, as with Avatar winning BP.    

And I never said that you said that.  Read it again.

And you still don't seem to have a clue that to say it's the best movie of the year but she'll win because of political correctness is demeaning and offensive.

It's not like her pu**y shot the movie.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »

Colleen is the best ever. No contest!

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
Bigelow winning (if she does win) being made into a sexist polemic would be ironic considering that her film refuses to exploit the Iraq War is such a way.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2010, 04:39:04 PM »

If that were the case, she'd be a lock.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
That's talent.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
I would hope Bigelow's influence toward the case for female directors is based on the movies she makes, not the awards she wins.

I love movies and enjoy watching the Oscars because I generally think its fun to spend time with the people that are responsible for them. Given how little I care about or agree with who wins however, it saddens me when people talk about these awards as anything beyond a fun little ceremony (especially when considering that votes often do seem to be for political reasons, make up calls, or some other stupid sh_t like that). let the movies themselves change the landscape of cinema, not the awards that are bestowed on them.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »
And you still don't seem to have a clue that to say it's the best movie of the year but she'll win because of political correctness is demeaning and offensive.

Sorry if its non-politically correct, but that's just how I see it.     

If that were the case, she'd be a lock.

Oh please, that don't impress me.  Michael bay has been shooting movies with half his ass for all his life.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »

I haven't seen Hurt Locker so I can't really comment, but your post makes it sound like Bigelow is completely undeserving and is only receiving some sort of affirmative action.  But if Hurt Locker is a better overall movie, I don't see why Best Director would be undeserved.

I never said Bigelow is "completely undeserving" in fact Hurt Locker is the best film of the year.  But she will win atleast partly because of political considerations, as with Avatar winning BP.    

I'm sure that if that were the case, she'd get a whole lot more than just an Oscar statuette.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #309 on: February 02, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

Sorry if its non-politically correct, but that's just how I see it.     

If she directed the best movie of the year, which you believe The Hurt Locker was, then she would 100% deserve the best director award if she received it.  Political correctness would have nothing to do with it either way.

Of course, this entire conversation will be hilarious if Quentin Tarantino actually wins....

love