Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50194 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2010, 08:32:34 AM »
I'm still waiting to hear why The Hurt Locker is deserving but Avatar is not, except for that one load of crap reason that The Hurt Locker needs a win to get more people to see it. That means Thirst is the most deserving film to win Best Picture, right? Not only was it the best film of last year, but not many people have seen it, so it must deserve to win Best Picture, right?

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #331 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:57 AM »
I'm still waiting to hear why The Hurt Locker is deserving but Avatar is not, except for that one load of crap reason that The Hurt Locker needs a win to get more people to see it. That means Thirst is the most deserving film to win Best Picture, right? Not only was it the best film of last year, but not many people have seen it, so it must deserve to win Best Picture, right?

If Thirst was a good movie then yes. But being purely objective, Thirst was not a movie made for the masses and even in film circles it was divisive. But Hurt Locker was unanimously praised. Avatar has all the attention it needs, but The Hurt Locker could stand the test of time if we gave it some sort of motivation. Plus, It's just a better movie then Avatar. We're speaking oscar talk by saying "It needs the press", it's scary for filmspotters. If both were nominated for the filmspots, we'd be saying The Hurt Locker should win because It's the better movie. But not for the oscars.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2010, 08:40:27 AM »
So then A Serious Man is the most deserving because it is the better film, objectively, and probably made the least money of all the contenders. Playing politics is pretty pointless to me, the film that deserves recognition and celebration is the one that delivers an unparalleled cinematic experience, not a fancy piece of editing that happens to be topical.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #334 on: February 03, 2010, 08:48:02 AM »
So then A Serious Man is the most deserving because it is the better film, objectively, and probably made the least money of all the contenders. Playing politics is pretty pointless to me, the film that deserves recognition and celebration is the one that delivers an unparalleled cinematic experience, not a fancy piece of editing that happens to be topical.

I happen to Think Hurt Locker is better, but the main reason we're banking on it is because, especially after Bigelow's DFA win, it's Avatar's biggest competitor. A Serious Man does not stand a chance. However, we still have the filmspots. And it stands a chance there.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #335 on: February 03, 2010, 08:53:43 AM »

I happen to Think Hurt Locker is better, but the main reason we're banking on it is because, especially after Bigelow's DFA win, it's Avatar's biggest competitor. A Serious Man does not stand a chance. However, we still have the filmspots. And it stands a chance there.

But that still doesn't let me know why, aside from the mostly irrelevant politics behind the situation, it's a more deserving film than Avatar, or any of the other nominees for that matter.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #336 on: February 03, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »

But that still doesn't let me know why, aside from the mostly irrelevant politics behind the situation, it's a more deserving film than Avatar, or any of the other nominees for that matter.

Well then, you're in the wrong thread.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »

Well then, you're in the wrong thread.

But the Avatar discussion is 21 pages long, so it's generated more talk, which obviously means that is more deserving.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #338 on: February 03, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »

Trying to apply logic to award show season hurts the brain.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #339 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
intrade odds...