love

Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50245 times)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
IB has (in addition to BP) Director, Supporting Actor, Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography & some techs - it was in no matter what.

Hmmm...  Didn't notice Tarantino cobble together that many nominations.  I guess you are right.

Still wouldn't wager money against Avatar.

yeah - I crossed it off at first in favor of An Education then looked at the total number of nods and switched it up.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2010, 02:52:28 PM »
Understand, I don't hate Avatar. I just think it's completely undeserving of Best Picture.

And then there was this from weeks ago...

Last night even James Cameron himself seemed genuinely surprised that the awards given to Avatar did not instead go to Kathryn Bigelow’s The Hurt Locker. I don’t even think The Hurt Locker was the best film of the year, but I do think it’s far better than Avatar and certainly more deserving of a Best Picture win.

I did not bring up the word deserve, it's no bait, it's a legitimate concern.

And that final comment you say it should go to the best picture that has a shot. Which implies, along with the rest of what you had said, that film is The Hurt Locker, right? Admitting that it's already a two horse race despite having ten nominated films, at least three of which you consider to be better, shows an awareness that calling it Best Picture certainly does not mean that it is an award designed to recognize the 'best' picture, or so it would seem that way.

iKeith! has it right.

This argument has no possible end FLY.

Care to wager? I will take THL and you Avatar?

What are we wagering? Also, I want Up in the Air as well, and you can have An Education.

Money what else. :D

$20?

I don't want An Education, it has no chance of winning. I'll take THL you take Avatar.

No.

So then you are just empty talk?

I don't like dealing with online money when I don't have to, Paypal and that stuff is a needless hassle for me and I'm not going to mail something to Canada if I lose, and I don't want any mail if I win. I'm perfectly willing to make gentleman's bets where one of us will have to watch a film for the other person or something, but I'm not in the market of betting money. I'd even be willing to gift something of $20 max from Amazon, but then I have to deal with shipping and conversion rates and stuff, I think, which is also a needless hassle.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #372 on: February 03, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »

I don't like dealing with online money when I don't have to, Paypal and that stuff is a needless hassle for me and I'm not going to mail something to Canada if I lose, and I don't want any mail if I win. I'm perfectly willing to make gentleman's bets where one of us will have to watch a film for the other person or something, but I'm not in the market of betting money. I'd even be willing to gift something of $20 max from Amazon, but then I have to deal with shipping and conversion rates and stuff, I think, which is also a needless hassle.

Fine we will make a movie dictation bet then, although I would rather lose 20 bucks than watch some horrid Disney movie.  ;D

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #373 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
Understand, I don't hate Avatar. I just think it's completely undeserving of Best Picture.

And then there was this from weeks ago...

Last night even James Cameron himself seemed genuinely surprised that the awards given to Avatar did not instead go to Kathryn Bigelow’s The Hurt Locker. I don’t even think The Hurt Locker was the best film of the year, but I do think it’s far better than Avatar and certainly more deserving of a Best Picture win.

I did not bring up the word deserve, it's no bait, it's a legitimate concern.

And that final comment you say it should go to the best picture that has a shot. Which implies, along with the rest of what you had said, that film is The Hurt Locker, right? Admitting that it's already a two horse race despite having ten nominated films, at least three of which you consider to be better, shows an awareness that calling it Best Picture certainly does not mean that it is an award designed to recognize the 'best' picture, or so it would seem that way.

I still don't change my stance, and in the context of this particular argument you were the one to bring up the definition of the word "deserving".

And what my last comment implies is that the Oscars aren't always right, but I would still like to think that if they are having a race between two films, neither of which I consider the actual best picture, they would choose the film I think is better. Also, this year they are using a different voting mechanism than other years. They'll do it like we do our lists, where we rank each film rather than choosing just one. This means that this year in particular the film that most people actually consider the better film has a good chance of winning. Hopefully most people voting for Best Picture consider The Hurt Locker to be a better film than Avatar too. And with the new voting system Inglourious Basterds actually has a better shot than it normally would because if it pulls a consistent #2 or 3 placing on everyone's lists with a few #1s it is definitely in the running. Then again, knowing Academy voters, they probably have it more around #5.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #374 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
Can we please move on from this debate, it really seem to be getting nowhere. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #375 on: February 03, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »

Thanks. I'm just trying to knock some sense into FLY. Impossible I guess.

Next topic: Who will win for Best Cinematography? Avatar? I hope not.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #376 on: February 03, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »

Thanks. I'm just trying to knock some sense into FLY. Impossible I guess.

I hope not too. I said it before, I loved what I saw on screen, but not how it was on screen.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #377 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
From what little I have seen, The White Ribbon looks pretty stunning.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #378 on: February 03, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »

I hope not too. I said it before, I loved what I saw on screen, but not how it was on screen.

That is such a good way of putting it. Production Design over Cinematography.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #379 on: February 03, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »

That is such a good way of putting it. Production Design over Cinematography.

Is CGmotion capture cinematography? ;D