Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50222 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
intrade odds...

Can someone tell the color blind guy which two are highest on this graph? (oh wait are they in order?)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
Hurt Locker
Basterds
Up in the Air
Precious
Blind Side
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »
Can we please move on from this debate, it really seem to be getting nowhere. 

3 dogs chasing their own tails.
Hey, nice marmot!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »
I just made my 4th bet against Avatar winning best picture. One online, and three against friends. If it wins it's gonna cost me a little over 400! But if it loses I win a little over 600! :D

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #414 on: February 04, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
I still think it will win. For your sake I hope it doesn't though.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #415 on: February 04, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »
It won't win though, right? I mean I don't even hate it...but come on.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #416 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »
Why not, it's easily the most deserving nominee.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
This was too awesome not to post here. On another forum there has been the standard debate about Avatar and its best picture nomination. This post was made in its defense. He is arguing that Avatar wins BP in nearly every year of the Oscars.

Perhaps you should watch every best picture. I could be slightly wrong about "vast majority" but it [Avatar] clearly wins most of them [best picture oscars]. The earlier you go the greater the discrepancy in effect quality, so you need to have a pretty awesome movie (as far as writing/acting/story go) to beat it.

Watch Sunrise, which I can only assume won in 1929 because of the awesome effects. Cells on top of each other to make it look like there were ghosts, and an interesting choice to put a camera on a swing. Best sound effects for its time. The plot was borderline retarded, but it won. If Avatar shows up in 3d with 10' tall blue people and dragons, it obviously wins.

Something like "The Godfather" has a chance to beat it based purely on acting, but there is no way that "The Greatest Show On Earth" beats it - Charlton Heston or not. "The Sound of Music" has a good chance, but "Around the World in 80 days" does not.

If you hadn't seen this same plot before (Dances With Wolves, or whatever - take your pick) it's clearly not as bad. For a lot of those years it would have been a new idea, so the story itself probably wins some votes. Hell, the acting was better in Avatar than in a lot of the older oscar winners. For a long time actors had no idea how to act for film, and overdid everything so it looked absurd.

Hell, if you release "Transformers" in 1950 it wins hands down, and the quality of the movie has nothing to do with it. The filmies will disagree, saying that "All About Eve" is clearly a better acted movie, but it would be absurd to think that the academy wouldn't vote for the one with effects they can't even begin to understand.

If you change the rules to something like "make Avatar with whatever technology is available 5 years ahead of the year in question" then there are a lot of years where it wouldn't have been released since it would have sucked so bad.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2010, 01:02:29 PM »
This was too awesome not to post here. On another forum there has been the standard debate about Avatar and its best picture nomination. This post was made in its defense. He is arguing that Avatar wins BP in nearly every year of the Oscars.

Perhaps you should watch every best picture. I could be slightly wrong about "vast majority" but it [Avatar] clearly wins most of them [best picture oscars]. The earlier you go the greater the discrepancy in effect quality, so you need to have a pretty awesome movie (as far as writing/acting/story go) to beat it.

Watch Sunrise, which I can only assume won in 1929 because of the awesome effects. Cells on top of each other to make it look like there were ghosts, and an interesting choice to put a camera on a swing. Best sound effects for its time. The plot was borderline retarded, but it won. If Avatar shows up in 3d with 10' tall blue people and dragons, it obviously wins.

Something like "The Godfather" has a chance to beat it based purely on acting, but there is no way that "The Greatest Show On Earth" beats it - Charlton Heston or not. "The Sound of Music" has a good chance, but "Around the World in 80 days" does not.

If you hadn't seen this same plot before (Dances With Wolves, or whatever - take your pick) it's clearly not as bad. For a lot of those years it would have been a new idea, so the story itself probably wins some votes. Hell, the acting was better in Avatar than in a lot of the older oscar winners. For a long time actors had no idea how to act for film, and overdid everything so it looked absurd.

Hell, if you release "Transformers" in 1950 it wins hands down, and the quality of the movie has nothing to do with it. The filmies will disagree, saying that "All About Eve" is clearly a better acted movie, but it would be absurd to think that the academy wouldn't vote for the one with effects they can't even begin to understand.

If you change the rules to something like "make Avatar with whatever technology is available 5 years ahead of the year in question" then there are a lot of years where it wouldn't have been released since it would have sucked so bad.

This argument fails for a multiple of reasons. Sunrise did not win the BP oscar in 1929, Wings won the '27-'28 BP Oscar (held in '29), The Broadway Melody won the '28-'29 and All Quiet on the Western Front won the '29-'30. Counterpoint 2: Star Wars did not beat Annie Hall despite similar visual advances to that of Avatar (I will be quite happy to list some of the advances). Counterpoint 2.1: 2001 did not even get a nomination (Kubrick did get a Best Director nom) let alone beat Olivier! again 2001 is a visually stunning film. Final point would be if visual impressiveness won out there would be a lot more SciFi films that had won BP, yet there are none. The only time any film not set in the our world has ever won BP is when LOTR won.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #419 on: February 05, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »
Actually. Sunrise did win best picture. It was the only year where there were two Best Picture Awards. One for production and one for artistic achievement.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad