Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50211 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »

I think you make some very good points. The ratings of the Oscars don't (yet) affect the prestige that comes from winning one. Even if people don't watch the show, they will find out which film won best picture and run to Blockbuster to rent it. I'm a cynic about a lot of things, but I will never believe that the people in the industry care less about the art of the cinema than I do. And I care a great deal.

this is how I see it too Carly. I cant imagine someone who had dedicated their life to making films voting for a film they dont like just so the ratings of the show go up!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »
This thread is full of cynicism and the worst kind of film discussion. I don't know what else to say or do.

Ignore it and walk away like I have, you'll be much better for it.

This thread disheartens me.
Hey, nice marmot!

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »
I understand that there have been some heated discussions on this thread, but its no worse than what we've seen before. If I can't talk about the Oscars here, where can I?
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »
Wait until the Kids Choice Awards happen!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
This thread is full of cynicism and the worst kind of film discussion. I don't know what else to say or do.

Ignore it and walk away like I have, you'll be much better for it.

This thread disheartens me.

I dont know why everyone is getting worked up that a few of us are having a discussion on oscar politics and which films are likely to win.

It seems that everyone who finds the thread offensive is taking it as some kind of insult to Avatar (I assume since it is all Avatar fans that seem to find it offensive).

I know I, and I dont think anyone else, are commenting on the quality of Avatar. We are simply having a debate on if/how it is possible to predict the winners based on past indicators.  

My thinking it will not win has nothing to do with my feelings about the film (which for the record I still like). It is simply my reading of Oscar politics.

I understand that there have been some heated discussions on this thread, but its no worse than what we've seen before. If I can't talk about the Oscars here, where can I?

exactly :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:10:10 PM by Clovis8 »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
This has nothing to do with Avatar clovis - I don't care about your thoughts on that. What I find "disheartening" is this thread embodies the change in the level and tone of film criticism here. I may not have the same film knowledge as a lot of you but the reason I stay out of a lot film threads is that lately it mostly consists of blanket statements of quality, derisive comments and grandstanding - the same people shooting the same opinions back and forth, over and over ad nauseum. There is very little discussion and open sharing of ideas.
Maybe I am wrong for this - but I try and find things I like in a film as opposed to what I don't like. It's more challenging in today's world to be inclusive when it seems more and more, everything is polarized and exclusive. To me at least - it's too easy to find things to dislike.
Hey, nice marmot!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
This has nothing to do with Avatar clovis - I don't care about your thoughts on that. What I find "disheartening" is this thread embodies the change in the level and tone of film criticism here. I may not have the same film knowledge as a lot of you but the reason I stay out of a lot film threads is that lately it mostly consists of blanket statements of quality, derisive comments and grandstanding - the same people shooting the same opinions back and forth, over and over ad nauseum. There is very little discussion and open sharing of ideas.
Maybe I am wrong for this - but I try and find things I like in a film as opposed to what I don't like. It's more challenging in today's world to be inclusive when it seems more and more, everything is polarized and exclusive. To me at least - it's too easy to find things to dislike.

That's my point Martin. We are not saying anything about disliking any film. We are just talking about a films chance of winning. The one has nothing to do with the other. I wish my personal opinion had something to do with who won an Oscar but I certainly dont think it does. :D

As for blanket statements, I agree there is too much of that in general.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #467 on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
for the record I got skin in the game with $440 bet on the BP winner!  :o

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #468 on: February 05, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »
I think you make some very good points. The ratings of the Oscars don't (yet) affect the prestige that comes from winning one. Even if people don't watch the show, they will find out which film won best picture and run to Blockbuster to rent it. I'm a cynic about a lot of things, but I will never believe that the people in the industry care less about the art of the cinema than I do. And I care a great deal.

Absolutely.  I think the only people that care about the shows ratings are the network and the show's producers, and the journalists who cover Hollywood as a business.  ratings are an easy story to write about, same as grosses, same as polls (in another journalistic field filled with the kinds of info no actual people actually care about).

If Avatar wins, it'll be because the Academy members actually think it deserves the Best Picture Oscar.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #469 on: February 05, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »

If Avatar wins, it'll be because the Academy members actually think it deserves the Best Picture Oscar.

I totally agree.

love