Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50164 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #490 on: February 08, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »
I think you make some very good points. The ratings of the Oscars don't (yet) affect the prestige that comes from winning one. Even if people don't watch the show, they will find out which film won best picture and run to Blockbuster to rent it. I'm a cynic about a lot of things, but I will never believe that the people in the industry care less about the art of the cinema than I do. And I care a great deal.

I totally agree.  In fact you sum up my feelings about the actual Oscar-cast.  I care who wins but not enough to sit through 3-4 butt-numbing, brain melting hours of the show.  I can do something interesting and find out who won the next morning.  If anything interesting happens (Benigni climbing over seats, Adrien Brody planting a big kiss on Halle Berry etc) it will be in "great Oscar moments" galleries til the end of time (or the internet), not to mention YouTube.

A lot of people are interested in who wins the Oscars without being interested in the show.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:25:23 PM by pixote »

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #491 on: February 10, 2010, 12:04:47 AM »
Apparently they are voting on BP differently this year which, I think, makes The Hurt Locker a virtual lock. They are not just picking their favourite. They have to rank the 10 in order. So I am guessing that THL will get a lot of top 4 votes while Avatar will be getting a number of 8-10 votes.

This vote splitting will sink Avatar I bet.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #492 on: February 10, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »
Apparently they are voting on BP differently this year which, I think, makes The Hurt Locker a virtual lock. They are not just picking their favourite. They have to rank the 10 in order. So I am guessing that THL will get a lot of top 4 votes while Avatar will be getting a number of 8-10 votes.

Really?  That beyond dumb.  Why complicate such a simple process?  If presidential candidates were voted on in this manner, we would get third party Presidents every single time...
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #493 on: February 10, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
Apparently they are voting on BP differently this year which, I think, makes The Hurt Locker a virtual lock. They are not just picking their favourite. They have to rank the 10 in order. So I am guessing that THL will get a lot of top 4 votes while Avatar will be getting a number of 8-10 votes.

Really?  That beyond dumb.  Why complicate such a simple process?  If presidential candidates were voted on in this manner, we would get third party Presidents every single time...

I don't see what is wrong with picking the least disliked. Third party Presidents would not be a guarantee.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #494 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »

I don't see what is wrong with picking the least disliked. Third party Presidents would not be a guarantee.

It will result in an advantage for films that were universally liked but not great, as opposed to something more brave and divisive.  In effect it dilutes each individual vote between several films.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #495 on: February 10, 2010, 09:00:24 PM »

It will result in an advantage for films that were universally liked but not great, as opposed to something more brave and divisive.  In effect it dilutes each individual vote between several films.

I agree it kills the chances of any divisive film ever winning (not that there was much chance in the old system).

From what I understand it works like this; You rank the 10 films. Then when they votes are scored films are eliminated based on ranks. In the first round the film with the least number of top ranks is eliminated. Then the second and so on until one stands.

So a film that is loved by some and hated by others could never win.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #496 on: February 10, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »
This is the same as the Australian political system. We rank our choices, and like Clovis says, after the first round of counting, the person with the lowest votes is eliminated, and anyone who chose them has their second vote counted. We keep going like that until someone gets 50% +1 of the vote.

That said, our political system is quite different to the US, and quite different to voting for a film in the Oscars. I think it has to be used with this number of films being nominated tho, right? Otherwise a film with 11% of the vote could win the award, which would hardly be suitable.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #497 on: February 10, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »
That said, our political system is quite different to the US, and quite different to voting for a film in the Oscars.

The US electoral system on the other hand IS very similar to the old Oscar system. 

1. Everybody gets one vote
2. Votes are gathered and meticulously counted
3. Votes are thrown out
4. Winner is chosen by a secretive and all powerful cabal

Just like the Academy Awards.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #498 on: February 10, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
That said, our political system is quite different to the US, and quite different to voting for a film in the Oscars.

The US electoral system on the other hand IS very similar to the old Oscar system. 

1. Everybody gets one vote
2. Votes are gathered and meticulously counted
3. Votes are thrown out
4. Winner is chosen by a secretive and all powerful cabal

Just like the Academy Awards.

this made me literally LOL. well played.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #499 on: February 11, 2010, 01:26:21 AM »

I agree it kills the chances of any divisive film ever winning (not that there was much chance in the old system).

From what I understand it works like this; You rank the 10 films. Then when they votes are scored films are eliminated based on ranks. In the first round the film with the least number of top ranks is eliminated. Then the second and so on until one stands.

So a film that is loved by some and hated by others could never win.

Based on the results in Australian elections a person who is loved by some and hated by others always wins, but that is politics. You are assuming that a divisive film will only get 1's and 10's, unlikely. So something like Antichrist (which did not even get a nom) is likely to get a spread of numbers, just look at how it has been taken on these boards. Even in the first past the post system a divisive film is unlikely to get the most votes, so it probably has a better chance in this system.
What film is that divisive, in recent years nominations?

love