Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50256 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
heh cute
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #502 on: February 22, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
I'm a little surprised at all the awards and noms the screenplay for the Hurt Locker is getting (It just won the BAFTA).  I know it was written by a journalist with a lot of first-hand experience in Iraq, but seeing as the film is basically five action set pieces stitched together with some character moments I really wonder what the script is like.  It seems to me Bigelow did the heavy lifting making such a strong film.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #503 on: February 22, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »
I'm a little surprised at all the awards and noms the screenplay for the Hurt Locker is getting (It just won the BAFTA).  I know it was written by a journalist with a lot of first-hand experience in Iraq, but seeing as the film is basically five action set pieces stitched together with some character moments I really wonder what the script is like.  It seems to me Bigelow did the heavy lifting making such a strong film.

from what I gathered from the commentary track, a lot of that stuff was in the script.  the writer is also one of the major producers I believe.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #504 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »

I liked the dialogue between the soldiers precisely because it is minimalistic.  You don't have dying soldiers tearfully narrating a letter to their wife or long demagoguery about the politics of the war on terror.  I honestly don't remember a single bad line in that film. I think it deserves the praise it gets.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #505 on: February 22, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »
I agree with you there, z, avoiding those cliches is a strength of the film. Where the writing fell short for me was the relationship between Anthony Mackie and Jeremy Renner, which I thought was really uninteresting. 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #506 on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Yeah, the strength of the script, for me, was in its structure and the writing of the action scenes (and the dialogue in them).  The actual character scenes between the action I wasn't particularly impressed with.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #507 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
I agree with you there, z, avoiding those cliches is a strength of the film. Where the writing fell short for me was the relationship between Anthony Mackie and Jeremy Renner, which I thought was really uninteresting. 

I liked their interaction on the battlefield, off the battlefield it was indeed not terribly interesting. 

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #508 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »
Yep.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
Anyone hear about this email that was sent around by this Nicolas Chartier guy?

More importantly, the nominees for The Kids' Choice Awards were announced without me knowing. I will give a more detailed breakdown within the next couple of days. Just general impressions. Favorite TV Show is tough. Favorite Song, with one exception, is CINECAST!ing STACKED, as is Favorite Female Singer, and Favorite Movie kind of sucks. Surprised that Harry Potter series, once again, doesn't qualify for Favorite Book.

love