love

Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50231 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #550 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:41 PM »
I'm just glad I got to hear Geoffrey Fletcher's voice.

The time had come.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #551 on: March 08, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »
A Serious Man, yo!

No way.  I agree (but I was rooting for IB a little bit more) but that movie is going to seem way too opaque for most viewers.  There are very few people I would urge to watch that.  Most people would be just WTF? when it ended. 

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #552 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »
A Serious Man, yo!

No way.  I agree (but I was rooting for IB a little bit more) but that movie is going to seem way too opaque for most viewers.  There are very few people I would urge to watch that.  Most people would be just WTF? when it ended. 

I totally agree. On my other forum the people are pretty well educated about film (nothing like here though) but I cant get a single person to acknowledge that A serious Man is a great film. They all hate it. :(

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #553 on: March 08, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »
A Serious Man, yo!

I totally agree. On my other forum the people are pretty well educated about film (nothing like here though) but I cant get a single person to acknowledge that A serious Man is a great film. They all hate it. :(

What's your other forum?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #554 on: March 08, 2010, 12:39:47 PM »
Up's screenplay nomination is probably more embarrassing than The Hurt Locker's screenplay win.

pixote

FLY? What's so bad about the writing in Up?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
What's so bad about the writing in Up?
I assume your question is rhetorical, but here.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:04 PM »
A Serious Man, yo!

What's your other forum?

It's a poker forum with a subforum about film. It's called 2+2.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #557 on: March 08, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
A Serious Man, yo!

I agree it didn't have much of a shot at actually winning, but of the nominated films it was my first choice. IMO the screenplay is amazing, even if only a small portion of people appreciate it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #558 on: March 08, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
A Serious Man, yo!

I agree. Though I wouldn't have minded seeing IB winning Best Screenplay either, as it was my choice. Haven't seen the final nominee, (The Last Station, right?) but these two screenplays make The Hurt Locker and Up look like a five year old's first narrative by comparison.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #559 on: March 08, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »
I like that essentially 3 (great) genre movies have won in the past 4 years. It seems like Oscar is trying to make for all that terrible Oscar-bait that won in the past.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

love