Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50204 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #560 on: March 08, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
I like that essentially 3 (great) genre movies have won in the past 4 years. It seems like Oscar is trying to make for all that terrible Oscar-bait that won in the past.

::)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #561 on: March 08, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »
I like that essentially 3 (great) genre movies have won in the past 4 years. It seems like Oscar is trying to make for all that terrible Oscar-bait that won in the past.

Must you be oblique, sir?
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #562 on: March 08, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »
I made a new thread for discussions of the show last night.

http://www.filmspotting.net/boards/index.php?topic=7480.0

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #563 on: March 08, 2010, 03:34:51 PM »

I hate the argument you are trying to make, I hate it every time you or someone else tries to make it, and I'm not about to stop hating an argument I find to be preposterous.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #564 on: March 08, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »

I hate the argument you are trying to make, I hate it every time you or someone else tries to make it, and I'm not about to stop hating an argument I find to be preposterous.

It wasn't really an argument. I said "It seems", maybe I should have wrote "it feels". Of course, the Academy isn't 10 people in a room and they aren't consciously apologizing. I'm not an idiot.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #565 on: March 08, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »

It wasn't really an argument. I said "It seems", maybe I should have wrote "it feels". Of course, the Academy isn't 10 people in a room and they aren't consciously apologizing. I'm not an idiot.

That's not the argument I'm talking about, I'm talking about the Oscar bait sentiment, or the idea that Oscar bait exists.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #566 on: March 08, 2010, 03:52:35 PM »

That's not the argument I'm talking about, I'm talking about the Oscar bait sentiment, or the idea that Oscar bait exists.

Are you saying that "A Beautiful Mind", "Shakespeare In Love", "The Cider House Rules"(fu*k, almost any Miramax film from this era), "The Hours", "Mystic River"(I actually kind of like this movie, but still) and so on and so forth aren't Oscar-Bait? I'm sorry, but I find your refusal to acknowledge the term (though I respect it) ridiculous. Well-meaning middle-brow drama often made for the late-year period (I wonder why) ruled the Oscars for many, many years. It's absurd not to think so. Which is not to say something like "No Country For Old Men" or "The Departed" didn't have people behind it pushing it incredibly hard for Oscars, but the films themselves are not emblematic of the type of movie that fits the labeling. Thank goodness.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #567 on: March 08, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »

Are you saying that "A Beautiful Mind", "Shakespeare In Love", "The Cider House Rules"(fu*k, almost any Miramax film from this era), "The Hours", "Mystic River"(I actually kind of like this movie, but still) and so on and so forth aren't Oscar-Bait? I'm sorry, but I find your refusal to acknowledge the term (though I respect it) ridiculous. Well-meaning middle-brow drama often made for the late-year period (I wonder why) ruled the Oscars for many, many years. It's absurd not to think so. Which is not to say something like "No Country For Old Men" or "The Departed" didn't have people behind it pushing it incredibly hard for Oscars, but the films themselves are not emblematic of the type of movie that fits the labeling. Thank goodness.

They are movies being made, that's all they are. Every movie that has a chance at the Oscars gets hyped by their studio, the only reason they are considered Oscar-bait is because people have decided that there must be a reason those films won or were pushed for an Oscar and that reason was the never-ending loop of "to win an Oscar." Applying the Oscar bait label to any film does a disservice to the film and to the person making applying the label.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #568 on: March 08, 2010, 03:58:40 PM »
so does applying any other genre label give you the same reaction?

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #569 on: March 08, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »
so does applying any other genre label give you the same reaction?

Not really. I'm not a fan of genre labels, but I will and do use them myself, because they try to pigeonhole movies into neat little boxes. However, they aren't slanderous against the films in question, saying The Hurt Locker is an action film isn't slamming the film in any way, but saying The Hurt Locker is Oscar bait is in fact slamming the film.

love