love

Author Topic: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.  (Read 50200 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: 2009 Awards That Are Not Filmspots.
« Reply #570 on: March 08, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
You seem to think that there haven't been cases where the people behind a movie don't make it for Oscars. Come on now, the existence of Harvey Weinstein disputes this.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »
You seem to think that there haven't been cases where the people behind a movie don't make it for Oscars. Come on now, the existence of Harvey Weinstein disputes this.

I don't buy that for a second. A movie can be green-lit for any number of reasons, but at the end of the day a director/writer doesn't sit down and make a movie to appeal to the Oscars, and those are the people I care about. A studio head may put a movie into production thinking it sounds like something that the Oscars would like, but he/she is outside of the creative process and thus someone I could care less about. And in the end the writers/directors are making movies to make movies, because they have an idea they feel they need to share, not because they want to form bait for the Oscars.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
I haven't put that much thought into it, but there are certainly movies that seem to me like they appeal to the Academy's overall sensibilities for "best of the year" material. My issue with the term Oscar-bait is the negative connotation that it's being made to appeal to the academy. I'm sure that happens, but I think it's an unfair assumption to belittle a film by.

(this post sounded more original before the replies made while typing it. ;))

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »
but THL doesn't fit the bill for bait.  i think something like "B-movie" or "Exploitation" came out of quite negative connotations but are still legitimate ways to reference a film.  I also think they're identical, criteria wise, as to what the term "oscar bait" goes after.

also I hate to tell you this but Harvey is very much INSIDE the creative process - he had edited scripts, films hired and fired talent and told directors who they can cast (same with most producers), as are often the agents who package the oscar type films together in the first place.  It gets back to the sacredness of the "art" of filmmaking which really just doesn't exist in Hollywood.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »
Either way, the term "Oscar-Bait" is a short hand, like alot of terms, ya know, and it doesn't have to be a pejorative, though it usually is. Like I said, I kind of like Mystic River. It's indicative of a type of movie.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #575 on: March 08, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »
Either way, the term "Oscar-Bait" is a short hand, like alot of terms, ya know, and it doesn't have to be a pejorative, though it usually is. Like I said, I kind of like Mystic River. It's indicative of a type of movie.

And like I said, I don't think it is.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
But, Bill, we can agree that 35 Shots of Rum and Fantastic Mr Fox are totally Filmspot bait, right?  :)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #577 on: March 08, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »
 It gets back to the sacredness of the "art" of filmmaking which really just doesn't exist in Hollywood.

I don't exactly agree with this, either.

And there seems to be people Weinstein leaves alone, like Tarantino. Though when Weinstein is able to cut a Scorsese film, that does say something.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #578 on: March 08, 2010, 04:16:41 PM »
But, Bill, we can agree that 35 Shots of Rum and Fantastic Mr Fox are totally Filmspot bait, right?  :)

Totally  :D

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
 It gets back to the sacredness of the "art" of filmmaking which really just doesn't exist in Hollywood.

I don't exactly agree with this, either.

And there seems to be people Weinstein leaves alone, like Tarantino. Though when Weinstein is able to cut a Scorsese film, that does say something.

I've never bought into that as QT likes to self-mythologize, so when he says "it wasn't harvey's decision" (which he's done very often) I tend to doubt the truthiness of the statement.