Author Topic: How to use the Filmspotting iPhone app  (Read 14558 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
How to use the Filmspotting iPhone app
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »
Here is a shot of the home screen. From here you can select the episode you wish to listen too.

If you simply click the play button the episode will start to play. This works over wifi or 3G, which is nice when away from a wifi connection you can still get your Filmspotting fix. If you play the episode this way it will stop if you try to use another app on your phone.  

However if you would like to listen while doing other things on your iPhone you must start the episode using the "background" function.

Here is how to do this:

From the list page (shown above), choose the show you want to listen too. This will bring up the page for that episode. From this page you must choose the "extras" link at the top, right.

The extras page will appear. Choose the "Background Play" option and the show will open in Safari allowing you to listen while doing other stuff on the iPhone. You can also change your phones wallpaper to the Filmspotting one, visit the website, or email a friend about the app.

note: for those outside the US, on fixed data plans, be warned that streaming episodes via 3G will use a significant amount of data.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:12:17 PM by Clovis8 »

haugenbp

Re: How to use the Filmspotting iPhone app
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »
Any chance this will come out for Android?
"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger." -Dan Rather

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
Would be nice. Up to Wizzard Media, however, who built the app.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at http://filmspotting.net and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

beuks

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
Question about the app from a new iPhone user: is there a way to download the episodes or bonus content while on a wifi connection so I don't have to stream and use precious data while away from one?

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Episodes through the Podcast app. Bonus content streamed through the F'spot app only. Streaming and downloading is kind of the same thing data wise though.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »
Streaming and downloading is kind of the same thing data wise though.

I think the question is whether you can download while on wi-fi and then listen to that downloaded content later (away from wi-fi) without having to stream it again 'live' ...

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »
Yes. I see I wasn't clear. You can download episodes through Podcast app. The episodes appear in a list and you can choose to download them or stream them. Press the arrow button by the episode to download. Just press on the episode to stream.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

frankrye

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »
A quick question about the app--just got an iphone and loaded up the app.  How do I get to the bonus content?  Is it at the end of the regular episode?  I can't seem to find anything like bonus content in the menu.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:51:45 AM »
You have to open an episode that has bonus content.  (not all episodes do)  Then it's in the Menu under Extras for that episode.
Texan Down Under

jamesr1960

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »
Just got the IPhone app. But I'm not seeing an Extras button no matter which episode I select. The reason I got the app was to access bonus content. Help!!

love