Poll

Which Chapter of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Saga is your favorite?

The Fellowship of the Ring
8 (18.2%)
The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Cut
13 (29.5%)
The Two Towers
5 (11.4%)
The Two Towers - Extended Cut
11 (25%)
The Return of the King
1 (2.3%)
The Return of the King - Extended Cut
6 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Which Lord of The Rings? - Now that the dust has settled.  (Read 10715 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Which Lord of The Rings? - Now that the dust has settled.
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
Oh god what do they do with Faramir? See this is why I never watched them!

Hey.  We're gonna do this together.  You're gonna start a post of when you'll be watching.  I know these movies inside and out.  We'll watch them together.  Okay?  Okay.  And when you see something you hate, you'll stop your DVD and I'll just talk you through it.  They are excellent movies, very very good.  Of *course* you will find things that seem like blasphemy.  That's because you are smart.  But even though--even though-- some of this stuff makes Tolkien roll in his grave, on the whole you are going to have a good time.  Okay?  So this will happen.  

And... Do you drink?

Here I go again, encouraging vice, but you aren't in AA or anythingofcourseyou'renotwe'reallgonnaberealcoolbabyrealcool.  We'll just have a beer or two and watch this thing.

So: when was the last time you read FOTR?  

Ok we will watch them together. :D

I plan on trying to see them all over xmas. I have not read the books for 10 years or so but read them maybe 10 times in high school. I have avoided the films mostly because I loved the books so much and (as you all know) I am not much for big FX type films.

I was actually about to watch them a few years ago but I then saw King Kong in the theater, which I loathed. That put me off them again.

Brian Z

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
I love them all but Fellowship is my favorite, in part because it's first hour has a joy to it missing in the rest of the series, even if it's gone for a good reason.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 12:08:11 AM »
I usually watch them once a year. Around Christmas time I get a hankerin to see some orcs get smashed. I usually do a commentary over the films but perhaps I'll watch along and see the films for reals this time.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 03:59:09 AM »
Oh god what do they do with Faramir? See this is why I never watched them!

Hey.  We're gonna do this together.  You're gonna start a post of when you'll be watching.  I know these movies inside and out.  We'll watch them together.  Okay?  Okay.  And when you see something you hate, you'll stop your DVD and I'll just talk you through it.  They are excellent movies, very very good.  Of *course* you will find things that seem like blasphemy.  That's because you are smart.  But even though--even though-- some of this stuff makes Tolkien roll in his grave, on the whole you are going to have a good time.  Okay?  So this will happen.  

And... Do you drink?

Here I go again, encouraging vice, but you aren't in AA or anythingofcourseyou'renotwe'reallgonnaberealcoolbabyrealcool.  We'll just have a beer or two and watch this thing.

So: when was the last time you read FOTR?  

Ok we will watch them together. :D

I plan on trying to see them all over xmas. I have not read the books for 10 years or so but read them maybe 10 times in high school. I have avoided the films mostly because I loved the books so much and (as you all know) I am not much for big FX type films.

I was actually about to watch them a few years ago but I then saw King Kong in the theater, which I loathed. That put me off them again.
Yea King Kong was horrible but it's absolutely nothing like Jackson's LotR films.

As for the special effects, I really don't think they are that heavy or noticeable except for the few CG characters. I'd say most of the CG is stuff you'll never notice like added crowds in wide shots, color correction, etc. It's not on the level of something like District 9 or Star Wars III where there's something obviously CG in every single shot.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »
thought the ghost army was a really bad example of FX but wasn't turned off by them for the most part.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 02:20:17 PM »
I will truthfully be very interested in hearing what Clovis has to say about the trilogy, effects wise.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 02:35:46 AM »
Further discussion, and a really funny article.

6 Lord of the Rings Characters who Totally Dropped the Ball.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
The answers you seek are in Norway.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »
I find the Lord of the Rings backlash really annoying. I can barely find a single person I know who likes those movies, yet when they were coming out everybody seemed to adore them. I don't get it. They are fantastic films and amazingly epic.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »
I find the Lord of the Rings backlash really annoying. I can barely find a single person I know who likes those movies, yet when they were coming out everybody seemed to adore them. I don't get it. They are fantastic films and amazingly epic.

I haven't felt that backlash at all. Strange.