Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 5027 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • All temperatures are in centigrades.
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:04 AM »
Better than my lame joke! :))

abridge a bridge.
I read this on the bus home from work and people wondered why I suddenly started laughing. ;D
I might remember it all differently tomorrow.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
smh

I'm so focused on getting audiobooks for free, I missed the joke.  Sorry.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »
http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks

There are a lot of free audiobooks at this link along with the source. Not sure if they are abridged or not.
Texan Down Under

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:07 AM »
Random question. If someone asks if you've read a certain book and you've listened to the audiobook, should you mention that or just say yeah I read it? Just curious if you should differentiate the two.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
I just said I read it. What's it to them? Especially x months since when anyone read/listened to it, what you retained will probably be the same. Your not being graded on your literature ingestion.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »
That's a good point. Much simpler to just say you read it.

I finally ventured into audiobooks this week. Considering i listen to podcasts all day at work it's surprising i never listened to an audiobook until now. I used my Audible freebie on The Martian. I bought the book after seeing the movie but never had the time to read it. I finished the audiobook after only 3 days. It was great. Very much enjoyed the narrator and his character voices.

I used my second freebie on 11/22/63. Another book i bought but never got around it. I'm 10 hours in after only 2 days and I'm loving it.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
I have discovered that I am very particular when it comes to narrators. I really cannot stand when a male narrator reads a female character in a fake high pitched ďfeminineĒ voice. I would rather they just use their own voice or an accent if itís appropriate and competent.
I have stopped listening to three books now over this.
I just listened to Wil Wheaton narrate Ready Player One and he did a fine job w/o accents or fake girlie voices.
Iíve also noticed that I enjoy audiobooks more if I have read them previously. Listening for the first time requires more unbroken attention than I want to give while driving and thatís the place I enjoy them best.
Hey, nice marmot!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »
I really enjoy Wil Wheaton as a reader. I didn't enjoy Ready Player One that much but not because of him. Check out Fuzzy Nation if you want something better! :)

Nowadays I generally stick to non-fiction for audiobooks. Things are generally more anecdotal and not so unforgiving if you slip in and out. Trying to follow a heavy narrative and not miss names and places is difficult. That said, I've had a handful of good experiences. In recent memory, I really enjoyed Mr. Mercedes.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 04:47:35 AM »
I'm 4 hours into Ready Player One and I'm enjoying it. The story and Wil Wheaton.