Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 13294 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:04 AM »
Better than my lame joke! :))

abridge a bridge.
I read this on the bus home from work and people wondered why I suddenly started laughing. ;D
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
smh

I'm so focused on getting audiobooks for free, I missed the joke.  Sorry.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »
http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks

There are a lot of free audiobooks at this link along with the source. Not sure if they are abridged or not.
Texan Down Under

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:07 AM »
Random question. If someone asks if you've read a certain book and you've listened to the audiobook, should you mention that or just say yeah I read it? Just curious if you should differentiate the two.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
I just said I read it. What's it to them? Especially x months since when anyone read/listened to it, what you retained will probably be the same. Your not being graded on your literature ingestion.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »
That's a good point. Much simpler to just say you read it.

I finally ventured into audiobooks this week. Considering i listen to podcasts all day at work it's surprising i never listened to an audiobook until now. I used my Audible freebie on The Martian. I bought the book after seeing the movie but never had the time to read it. I finished the audiobook after only 3 days. It was great. Very much enjoyed the narrator and his character voices.

I used my second freebie on 11/22/63. Another book i bought but never got around it. I'm 10 hours in after only 2 days and I'm loving it.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
I have discovered that I am very particular when it comes to narrators. I really cannot stand when a male narrator reads a female character in a fake high pitched “feminine” voice. I would rather they just use their own voice or an accent if it’s appropriate and competent.
I have stopped listening to three books now over this.
I just listened to Wil Wheaton narrate Ready Player One and he did a fine job w/o accents or fake girlie voices.
I’ve also noticed that I enjoy audiobooks more if I have read them previously. Listening for the first time requires more unbroken attention than I want to give while driving and that’s the place I enjoy them best.
Hey, nice marmot!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »
I really enjoy Wil Wheaton as a reader. I didn't enjoy Ready Player One that much but not because of him. Check out Fuzzy Nation if you want something better! :)

Nowadays I generally stick to non-fiction for audiobooks. Things are generally more anecdotal and not so unforgiving if you slip in and out. Trying to follow a heavy narrative and not miss names and places is difficult. That said, I've had a handful of good experiences. In recent memory, I really enjoyed Mr. Mercedes.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 04:47:35 AM »
I'm 4 hours into Ready Player One and I'm enjoying it. The story and Wil Wheaton.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »
Can someone recommend me a good audiobook? I have 3 credits to use. So far I've listened to Armada, Ready Player One, The Martian, Artemis, The Man In The High Castle, American Gods and 11.22.63. I'm open to non fiction as well.