Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 13296 times)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Audiobooks
« on: December 14, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »
Assuming this thread doesn't exist... anyone got good recs for a new Audible member?
A$AP Fables

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »
World War Z is great. The Harry Potters are really good. The LOTR series is also great, as OAD can attest.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Basil

• Godfather
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »
I knew you would be the first to post here.
A$AP Fables

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
You're lucky I'm "studying".

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »
I tend to like readers a lot and follow them as much as I do authors.  My top 2 are the two Simons--Prebble and Vance.  They are both awesome.  And my favorite female is Nadia May.

Frank Miller is an old favorite.  If you have never read Call of the Wild, get the Frank Miller version.  It's amazing.

Looking at my library for books I have listened to and particularly liked:

Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents -- Terry Pratchett

American Gods -- Neil Gaiman

A Crack in the Edge of the World -- Simon Winchester (he writes nonfiction and reads it himself, my friend finds him too dry and digressive but I adore him.  It's like having an eccentric uncle who is an Oxford don go on about something he has studied in depth.  I liked his book Krakatoa as well.)

Wee Free Men -- Terry Pratchett (I haven't gotten very far into the Discworld books but have really enjoyed these young adult ones).

Devil in the Details -- Jennifer Traig (OCD plus trying to practice orthodox judaism is not a good combination for sanity but boy is this a funny memoir)

Jonathan STrange and Mr. Norell -- Susanna Clarke (This and American Gods are enormous books that I think I would have had a hard time getting through reading but they were great companions on morning watch ) *Simon Prebble

The Nine -- Jeffrey Toobin (history of the Supreme Court, good stuff if you are curious about it at all but I imagine many would find it boring)

Stardust -- Neil Gaiman, read by Neil Gaiman.  I could listen to Neil Gaiman read the phone book.  Having him read his own books is a treat.

The Graveyard Book -- Neil Gaiman, also read by Gaiman

The Johnstown Flood -- David McCullough

Master and Commander -- Patick o'Brian (first in the series, read by Simon Vance)

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud (supposedly YA but I wouldn't have liked it as a YA reader because the main character is such a jerk)

Currently listening to The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman, read by Nadia May.  Loving it.

I spared you all the urban fantasy and romance novels but if you are interested...Simon Prebble actually reads quite a few of the romances and he's great, even when it's a fluff story.

That should get you started!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »
Yeah, American Gods and Jon Strange are great books and great audiobooks.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »
The Life of Pi — I had a hard time getting into this book, as a read. So, I started it as an audiobook and finished it as a read. It was perfect, one of the best books I've ever read.

No One Belons Here More Than You, Miranda July — She reads her own, very short stories. The dream, hippy-dippy-ness of her voice perfectly matches her stories. J and I listened to this on the way home from a long weekend in Arkansas. It was a great palate cleanser.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:14:02 AM »
Random recommendation: Teacher Man read by the author Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes). I enjoy his writing (and reading) style a lot. The book is basically Pulitzer Prize winner McCourt reminiscing on his career as a high school teacher - such a likable, funny guy.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

Basil

• Godfather
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »
The Life of Pi — I had a hard time getting into this book, as a read. So, I started it as an audiobook and finished it as a read. It was perfect, one of the best books I've ever read.

That is my very favorite book.
A$AP Fables

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:12:18 AM »
It was good until the end.