Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 13320 times)

Ronan

• Elite Member
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
Have only heard two.

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. Brilliant to hear.
Nick Cave reading the Death of Bunny Munro with music by Warren Ellis. Not to everyones taste.

Perscors

Audiobooks
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
Hey Adam, wonderful to hear that you too are an admirer of Paul Auster!  Not sure if you noticed that he narrates many of his own books, including my personal favorite, Oracle Night.  It is an interesting experience to hear an author read their book entire and Auster does a marvelous job at it.  A couple other interesting contemporary novels read by their authors include: John Crowley's Aegypt (a personal favorite of mine) as well as several of Neal Stephenson's books. 

bb6634

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 01:07:24 AM »
I listened to Donna Tartt's reading of her own book, The Secret History, as well as her reading of Charles Portis' True Grit.   She has a very interesting, twangy Southern accent that serves both books well; and unlike some other authors I listened to read their work, she has the ability to "act" her characters, make them distinctive and give their dialogue weight, the way actors do.   

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »
If you join Audible and get a free credit, then you can get your money's worth with either of these two recommendations because they are very long and expensive books to purchase:

A Short history of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It literally does what it says on the cover, from macro origin of the universe to micro quantum physics. If you didn't realise Einstein was either an alien or incomparable genius then you will after Bryson's description of his work.

Churchill by Roy Jenkins. Everything you ever needed to know about an extraordinary figure. With an American mother and a francophile, a real leader of men, it is difficult to think of a more unique set of credentials to make him the only person that could have led a country out of a nearly impossible situation.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »
Seamus Heany's translation of Beowulf, with him reading, is amazing. Definite recommendation.

tfresca

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:26 PM »
Listen to Game of Thrones, best audiobook ever.

munchin

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 10:22:22 PM »
I think it might have even been mentioned on the podcast a few weeks back but Jeremy Irons reading Lolita.....Immaculate. Breathtaking.

Currently listening to Birds Without Wings by Louis Bernieres and it's excellent as well. The narrator is exceptional.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
I'm preparing for the next Paul Thomas Anderson film.   8)  I'm listening to Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion by Janet Reitman. 
The answers you seek are in Norway.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »
World War Z is great.

I'm listening to this right now.  In broad daylight, I must emphasize!  I am not listening to this alone in the dark.  It's very shivery good.  :D
The answers you seek are in Norway.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
I'm going on a road trip with my 13 year old son and am in need of a fantastic audiobook. He loves the Harry Potter series and all things Rick Riordan, Brandon Mull and John Flanagan. We've listened to Peter and the Starcatchers and I'm currently reading Lord of the Rings et all to him (because he'll let me :) )

Any ideas?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:22:17 PM by Sandy »