Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 13292 times)

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
You could try the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. It's about a djinni who suffers from delusions of grandeur, and it is a lot of fun.

Other than that, I am not too well-versed in what 13 year old fantasy fans might like.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 07:56:55 PM »
I'm going on a road trip with my 13 year old son and am in need of a fantastic audiobook.

When I was 13, I was very much into the twin Terrys of fantasy: Pratchett & Brooks.

There are plenty of free audiobooks out there, too; mostly classic titles in the public domain--from authors like L. Frank Baum, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and Jules Verne.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »
You could try the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. It's about a djinni who suffers from delusions of grandeur, and it is a lot of fun.

Other than that, I am not too well-versed in what 13 year old fantasy fans might like.

This looks perfect Emiliana and like something I'd enjoy too. :) Thanks!

When I was 13, I was very much into the twin Terrys of fantasy: Pratchett & Brooks.

There are plenty of free audiobooks out there, too; mostly classic titles in the public domain--from authors like L. Frank Baum, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and Jules Verne.

I'm going to need a longer trip. :) We have got to start with The Princess of Mars :D which would make me the coolest mom ever. Have you read all of the Discworld books? As for The Sword of Shannara, would you start there, or the prequel The First King of Shannara?

Thanks AAAutin, I'll show these to him so he can help me decide. And, I love free books!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
The discworld books are great. If you want something a bit different, check out Good Omens. Might be a little young for that one, though.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Have you read all of the Discworld books?

Just the first three in the City Watch series, but I remember them being delightfully funny.

As for The Sword of Shannara, would you start there, or the prequel The First King of Shannara?

I think I was out of high fantasy by the time FIRST KING rolled around, so I can't really say. But if your son likes THE LORD OF THE RINGS, then he'll love THE SWORD OF SHANNARA, as it's a rich homage (or rip-off, depending on your level of cynicism) to the former.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
The discworld books are great. If you want something a bit different, check out Good Omens. Might be a little young for that one, though.

I'll look into it. Thanks Junior. :)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:01 PM »
Have you Discworld fans played the Ankh-Morpork board game? My husband and I have been obsessed with it for a couple of months. I haven't read the books, but he has, and it seems great for both of us. It's really easy to learn because each person plays a character from the city who has his or her own secret victory conditions. So, one person will be trying to get, like, 50 gold pieces, and another person will be trying to get the deck of cards to run out, etc. The more people playing, the more chaotic it gets, which I guess mirrors the books. Also, the art is beautiful and funny.

(If you click on the link and look at the rating, know that users at BoardGameGeek are so stingy that an 8/10 is like a perfect score. The top rated game on the site has an 8.231.)

Oh, hey, while I was gone I got real into board games.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

Thanks for that website AAAutin. There's also this site Free Classic Audio Books. I'm guessing there's a lot of overlap between those already mentioned, might be worth a look though. Also Amazon do have a lot of free books available for Kindle on their website.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
What am I missing here?  I went to iTunes for an audiobook of Les Miserables.  I found Books and Audiobooks of that title. What's the difference? 
Texan Down Under

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
Because of the iPad they sell ebooks on iTunes in addition to the audiobooks that they've had for a long time. So the "Books" one would be an .epub, I think.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love