Author Topic: The Underrated, The Overlooked & The Misunderstood: A Decade  (Read 11561 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
The Underrated, The Overlooked & The Misunderstood: A Decade
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
Preparing my first entry. Post your own.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: The Underrated, The Overlooked & The Misunderstood: A Decade
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut. One of the best films ever made, but totally screwed over by a stupidly studio-appeasing theatrical cut.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
    • ssmvc
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »
Gotta rescue these films. They're like puppies out in the rain.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »
The first entry in a thread where I (and hopefully you)  want to explore some of the films of this decade that fit the thread title.

Songs From The Second Floor (Roy Andersson, 2000)

Reminescent of Samuel Beckett and Jacques Tati, Roy Andersson's film sets up several tableaus with a long depth of field (the best use since Sergio Leone), depicting an absurd portrait of a modern capitalist world that is a market place, but when the economy suffers, the people start to panic (sound familiar?), and they resort to superstition and other bizarre rituals.

This is the most depressing film I've seen this decade. It also may be the funniest.

The images put on display point a finger at our own hypocrisy. I don't want to ruin some of the things you see in this movie, but they will stick with you.

The main story, if there is one, is of a man whose system has failed him. A father who has just burned down his furniture business. His oldest son is in a mental hosptial for, in the father's words, "writing poetry until he went crazy". The father starts to lose his grip as well, and the audinece is left with one of the most haunting last shots of the decade.

But I'm making this film sound like something of a slog. It's really CINECAST!in' funny, a satire for this decade, for sure. See it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:33:58 AM by Holly Harry »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
    • ssmvc
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »
That's one I definitely need to see. I've heard a lot about Andersson but haven't taken the plunge.

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »
Miami Vice (the theatrical cut).  And, on a similar note, Without a Paddle.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »
The Darjeeling Limited (Wes Anderson, 2007)

Here was my review in the "Write about the last movie you watched" thread:

The Darjeeling Limited(Wes Anderson, 2007)

What the hell was I thinking the first time around when I saw this? I didn't view this the first time under optimal viewing conditions, for sure, and I wasn't actually paying attention to the movie. I regarded it as Anderson's only semi-weak effort. I was wrong. It's his best film.

It's a movie about three western(American specifically) brothers who have such a pre-occupation with objects, with the material. They attempt to go on a spiritual journey in India, yet they're completely oblivious to Indian culture, and are possesory towards it in the same way they are their luggage(there's a heartbreaking and satirical line that Adrian Brody has in a scene at a river that encapsulates this), relegating it to a curiousity. But as they go on their journey culminating in the second half, they start to connect and they start seeing these people's lives, their spirit, ending with an amazing reunion.

The film is about the possibility of humanity to achieve something more than the material and connect with what makes us who we are and what binds us beyond materialism and cultural barriers. It's the most deeply humanist film I've seen this decade. A masterpiece, and one that is an absolute lock for my best of decade list.

This is a movie that reminds me why I love movies. The first time around, this film was a distraction, the second, it was transcendent.

I looked at the Metacritic and MRQE scores for this film, and was taken aback by the nature of subjectivity. How is it that so many people can not see what I saw in this movie? It could make a person self-conscious, but it shouldn't. If Metacritic and those type-sites have done something bad for film criticism, it's that it's defined complex opinions with mathematics. A 62 doesn't sum up everything this wonderful film contains.

File under Underrated And Misunderstood!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »
Miami Vice (the theatrical cut).  
pixote

i am guessing you mean misunderstood, since so many people seem to think it is good

and yeah, i am excited to revisit DL after reading your thoughts
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
And, on a similar note, Without a Paddle.

pixote

The theatrical cut or Unrated?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »
I 2nd the mention of Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut.

Black Hawk Down: This was sort of a modest hit, but I think it stands as one of Ridley Scott's finest achievements in directing.

Closer and V For Vendetta: 2 Natalie Portman films that are very divisive.  I think both are brilliant.

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance: This start to the Vengeance trilogy was overshadowed by the more visceral thrills of Oldboy, but it's the saddest portrait of revenge I've ever seen.  The best David Fincher film that he never made.

Brotherhood of the Wolf: The best Paul Verhoeven film he never made.  A French, period, kung-fu, monster movie full of flesh and blood.  One of the decade's most entertaining.

Perfume: A hit in Europe, a disaster in the states.  This complex tale is told with a full commitment to the narrative and the bolder steps it took, the more I loved it.  The final sequences are as believable and poetic as the final sequences to 2001.  They are seared into my brain.

North Country and The Magdalene Sisters: Tough to watch and largely ignored, you won't find better acting this decade than in these two overlooked gems.  Both suffer by pulling out some unnecessary melodrama, but that doesn't hurt the films' overall impact.  It's said that the best criticism of a movie is to show a better movie.  These 2 would be my response to Precious.

Akeelah and the Bee: Completely fell through the cracks.  This decade's greatest underdog story is a real charmer.

Also from my Top 100 of the decade...
Better Luck Tomorrow
The Ice Harvest
The Mothman Prophesies
Quills
The Visitor