Author Topic: The Underrated, The Overlooked & The Misunderstood: A Decade  (Read 24284 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: The Underrated, The Overlooked & The Misunderstood: A Decade
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
A.I. is coming up next on my queue, just in time for some reevaluation.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »
The re-evaluated love for A.I. is what's misunderstood.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »
It's pretty great. Possibly my favorite Spielberg.
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
It's pretty great. Possibly my favorite Spielberg.

You need a mommy!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
I think Touching the Void is the most overlooked documentary of the decade. It is brilliantly shot and amazing that they tell you the outcome in the first 2 minutes yet it is still edge-of-your-seat gripping.

Along the same line Thirteen Days is a very good political movie that is overlooked.

Both great picks and Thirteen Days also is one you know the outcome but keeps you on the edge of your seat.   I think it's required viewing for anyone who only knows the colde war though 80's movies.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »
Top 10

Sim0ne - I found it to be much better than the critics were giving it credit for. In my opinion its worth watching for the sheer originally of it. It's not brilliant, but it's refreshingly different.

Anything Else - It's in the same vein as Whatever Works, but in my opinion it's even better. The culmination of Woody's wandering philosophies. Terrifically funny, and full of truths. I'm am genuinely puzzled by some of the real hate people feel towards this one. Others are indifferent or meh on it. Personally, it's my favourite. Pitch perfect. I've recommended it to three guys my age at work and it was loved unanimously.

Confidence - It came and went without much said about it. I was very pleasantly surprised when I selected the single copy off the shelf at my local video store. If you watch con movies like I watch con movies (ie you don't sit there trying to figure it all out but just enjoy the ride) I think you'll be as entertained as I was. It's loaded with well casted talent, and James Foley brings it all together in a fun and cool way.

Stander - I originally heard about this one on DVDtalks top 10 movies of 2003 you won't see on any other top 10 list. I loved it! Just a great ride. And wouldn't you know, it's based on a true story. Even better.

The Clearing - I think it's the strength of the actors involved that really elevates this one. It's kinda like Old Joy, only it's interesting. I dunno, you probably wouldn't like it.

Ray - I think the hoopla over Foxx's performance tends to overshadow just how good of a biopic this is. I dig the genre, and in my opinion this is one of the very best. Most people have seen it I imagine, but I say you should see it again.

Spartan - This is like an action movie from another planet. If you feel that most films in the genre tend to insult your intelligence, than I urge you to try this one out. It's a different breed.

Beowulf & Grendel - Forget about that stupid cgi, 3d bullshit Beowulf. That was for pussies. This is what you really want. Pour yourself some mead, get drunk and watch the real thing. Thank me later.

Waiting - When is this comedy going to get some credit? If you've ever worked in food service, and you enjoy mostly raunchy humour than this is your movie. What's scary is that it rings true. If only they knew!

My Blueberry Nights - Delicious wasn't it? It was a far more approachable film than some of WKW's other work, as far as I was concerned. It was his one film I didn't feel would fall short of the hype. Mainly because there was no hype. It was something different. It was in English, it had American actors. When I saw it, I didn't get the sense that WKW fans had fully accepted it and therefor it hadn't yet been hyped into oblivion nor shunned into obscurity. The collective mind had not yet been made up and so the time was ripe for me to see it unhindered by expectations. I'm not sure if it would've mattered or not. I think it's wonderful. I now feel an appreciation for the director that I think will allow me to go back as see his past work without worrying about liking it enough.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:18:34 AM by smirnoff »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »
I so agree on Black Hawk Down, between that and The Hurt Locker you have the two best war films of the last 20 years.

I have not seen The Hurt Locker but I plan to rectify that tomorrow but I don fully endorse the Black Hawk Down love. I think it is not only a well directed film but a beautiful one at that.

1. Millennium Mambo - Best movie of the decade.
4. The Life Aquatic/Miami Vice/AI/My Blueberry Nights - Great films, misunderstood.

Agreed!
I thought Millennium Mambo was haunting - that film has stayed with me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:18:18 AM by St. Martin the Bald »
Hey, nice marmot!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 12:42:13 AM »

4. The Life Aquatic/Miami Vice/AI/My Blueberry Nights - Great films, misunderstood.

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:27 PM »
1. Rivers and Tides-A guy makes art out of trees, hence it is one of the greatest films ever.
2. Ostrov-Beautiful, sweet, depressing and Russian. And no one has seen it!
3. We Own the Night-A beautiful crime drama that takes a welcomed unconventional path
4. Day Watch-I don't get the hate. I find this film funny, haunting, beautiful and exciting.
5. The Village-M. Night's best film about fear, love and the virtue of color...that sounds sooo wrong.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »

5. The Village-M. Night's best film about fear, love and the virtue of color...that sounds sooo wrong.

ugg, worst ending of all time, even worse than Signs which is saying something.