love

Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes  (Read 8116 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »
Johansson isn't bad in The Prestige. And her character is far from useless. She functions as an important part of all the character work going on. The problem is that Johansson is particularly good at the acting either. The one weak link in that movie.

Also, it's funny that you caught the similarities between the two movies. I thought the whole idea of new technology appearing to be magic was extremely well-executed in The Prestige. Less so in Sherlock Holmes, but I can't say I didn't get a small thrill out of it.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »
I like the groundwork for the next movie. I assume it's doing well enough for the sequel to happen, right?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:38:33 AM »
I like the groundwork for the next movie. I assume it's doing well enough for the sequel to happen, right?

This too. I kept thinking after I saw it that the movie was fine, but that I would love to spend another movie with Downey Jr. and Law as those characters. Hopefully in a film with a tighter screenplay and better handled mystery.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »
Exactly. Moriarty vs. Holmes in a more visceral way rather than behind the scenes stuff would be excellent, I think. As long as they get a good Moriarty. Guy Pierce, maybe? Any word on who he was in this one?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »
Exactly. Moriarty vs. Holmes in a more visceral way rather than behind the scenes stuff would be excellent, I think. As long as they get a good Moriarty. Guy Pierce, maybe? Any word on who he was in this one?

The thing is, I could totally see Moriarty being a great villain Holmes never really sees. A guy who keeps causing havoc and eluding capture. Make him really test Holmes.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
Exactly. Moriarty vs. Holmes in a more visceral way rather than behind the scenes stuff would be excellent, I think. As long as they get a good Moriarty.
The buzz is they're in talks with Brad Pitt.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
Exactly. Moriarty vs. Holmes in a more visceral way rather than behind the scenes stuff would be excellent, I think. As long as they get a good Moriarty.
The buzz is they're in talks with Brad Pitt.

I would love that. Adam would never watch it.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »
I couldn't help but be turned off by this movie. I did my best to go into the film with an open mind, but I just don't think Guy Ritchie did a good job of turning Sherlock Holmes into an action hero. Every time there was a big action or fight scene I just felt this great disconnect with the Sherlock Holmes character that seemed out of place. But the bigger problem is that those are the only scenes that Ritchie seems to be able to comfortably direct. Every time Ritchie tried to film a "Sherlock investigates" scene, it felt sloppy and far too wordy, especially his monologue on the Tower Bridge.

It's a pity, because Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes is probably one of my favorite casting decisions of the year. But also on the downside, Jude Law didn't work for me as Watson (mainly because I just don't like Jude Law) and Rachel McAdams never sold herself as either a temptress of a criminal mastermind.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »
Really it just felt like any other lame detective story, just with more action (most of which was boring and unnecessary). The big reveal was very underwhelming. I've had more stimulating experiences watching Miss Marple on the BBC. I think part of the problem was that it wasn't based on one of the books. It is of course not possible for any Hollywood writer to match the intelligence and complexity that writers like Conan Doyle or Agatha Christie put into their stories but I was expecting more.

I liked Downey a lot, his childishness and his awkward interactions with Jude Law were the best parts of the film.
I also found the slow-mo fights where Holmes would calculate his actions to be really cool despite being completely useless.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 05:56:35 AM »
Dad fell asleep.

love