Author Topic: "The Five Obstructions"  (Read 1077 times)

zblaesi

"The Five Obstructions"
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
Anyone else see this film? I just saw it today. I thought it was interesting, especially the ending. However, I thought some of the films von Trier had Leth make throughout the documentary were somewhat bizarre and/or absurd (in a good way?). I'm not sure if I should take von Trier as a pseudo-intellectual babbling idiot or as, in some ways, a genius.

subliminal duck

Re: "The Five Obstructions"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
I watched this recently myself after being intrigued by Antichrist.  I ended up liking Obstructions even more.  I never really found Von Trier's intructions absurd in anyway.  The fun part was seeing what Leth would come up with in response.  My only complaint is that more technical film making obstructions weren't used.  Overall, a great film about the creative process. 

I found Von Trier to be somewhere between babbling idiot and genius.  Mostly came across as an ass.  Apparantly he doesn't just like to eff with fictional characters, but real people as well.  But,  I have to admit, the guy makes interesting films.

zblaesi

Re: "The Five Obstructions"
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »
Von Trier is probably just as interesting as the films he makes. They could make a film about him. Wait... they sort of did (hence this thread). Anyway, he's certainly confident.

I'm still not sure what to think of the film, but in the meantime, check this out: The 4 Objections - Part 1