Author Topic: JCVD  (Read 1963 times)

AlexRich

• Registered Cinephile
JCVD
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:17:01 AM »
Has anyone sen JCVD?  I seem to be the only person I know who has seen this movie and I am absolutely in love with it.  The name Jean-Claude van Damme is not synonymous with good movies, but his performance here is probably one of the best of the "casting against type" genre.  I'd like to see what other people thought of the movie and if I ever get the chance to choose a movie for Matty and Adam to discus, this would be the one.
"what we've got here is, failure, to communicate"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: JCVD
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »
I found it to be a very ordinary picture wrapped in a thick layer of meta, lit with some freaky heavy filters.  It contains exactly 1 truly interesting scene, the monologue where he leaves the set.  The film is worth it for that moment alone, but it needed a lot more artistry for the entire conceit to work.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 02:33:52 AM »
I really enjoyed the meta, and the movie as a whole.  A lot of fun, not much depth, but I recommend it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

AlexRich

• Registered Cinephile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:31 AM »
to 1SO:

By your profile picture I can see your need for more artistry, but I think the simplicity of the film is pretty amazing.  What is it you mean by more artistry?  The scene where Jean-Claude actually is the hero is pretty amazingly shot, as well as his monologue above the rafters.
"what we've got here is, failure, to communicate"

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »
I liked it a lot. The opening scene was brilliant, as was the monologue, and the escape scene where it shows reality vs. fantasy. As I remember it those take place in the beginning, middle, and end, respectively, and so that makes the whole movie pretty awesome.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »
I liked it a lot. The opening scene was brilliant, as was the monologue, and the escape scene where it shows reality vs. fantasy. As I remember it those take place in the beginning, middle, and end, respectively, and so that makes the whole movie pretty awesome.

This sounds about right to me. Those three scenes are excellent, the rest ok. It works out to a fun movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

TaylorRoesch

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
I think the film sat alright with me because I had already lowered my expectations seeing that Jean Claude van-Damme was in it.  I know it's not fair but I have never liked anything he's been in.  This is a shining star in his record but just a candle in film as a whole.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »
The whole concept of it sounded so awesome, I couldn't wait to see it.  I guess I had heightened expectations.  I never liked his movies either but the idea that someone who seemed like a shallow action hero could make a movie that poked fun at his reputation seemed totally cool.  And the concept is very cool, and it's cool that JCVD was into it, but something about the execution didn't work for me.  It had moments, but only moments, and there was a lot of drag in between the moments.

JCVD guilty pleasure (the only movie of his I did like):  Timecop

Topmounter

• ....sent by grocery clerks.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
I didn't know what to expect going in to the theater, but I definitely enjoyed it.  I was a little surprised that it didn't get a bit more interest, especially with The Wrestler coming out about the same time.
Topmounter

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
I still stand by my love for it from way back when I saw it premiere at TIFF.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad