Author Topic: After Hours #13: Elf / Golden Palm Awards  (Read 4485 times)

henchman

• CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO A DAMN PODCAST!
Re: After Hours #13: Elf / Golden Palm Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
Dancer in The Dark?' Say it isn't so!  While I was fascinated by 'Breaking the Waves' when it first came out, I
have to put old Lars in the Euro-Suto-Anti-Intellectual-Phony-PT Barnum classification with this one.
Bjork was acting? Wow...
It's been a long time since I've seen this absurd witless silly film, but I do remember one song where Bjork was trying to
'cheer up' Deneuve. My wife and I were laughing hysterically because the expression on Deneuve's face seemed to be saying,
"Oh GOD what am I doing in this piece of crap." (been there)
You boys drank the Koolaid on this one. Cannes be damned. Chaos? We don't NEED no stinking Chaos!
If I want to be Euro-challenged I'll take Haneke any day.

Totally disagree with pretty much everything said here. You obviously were not emotionally invested in this film, Selma's struggle and demise in this film is ultimately heartbreaking and honest. Now I can admit that some of the songs are a little goofy, but you cannot say that Von-Trier is phony or anti-intellectual. Name another director that compares to what Von-Trier forces you to feel on screen? The only one I can think of is Micheal Haeneke and that's a bit of a stretch. I don't necessarily think Von-Trier is "the greatest director in the world" but an original voice and someone who challenges an audience and doesn't follow convention, and I'll always give credit for that.
www.adamnpodcast.com
IF YOU LIKE FILMSPOTTING, DOWNLOAD OUR PODCAST TODAY!!

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
Dancer in The Dark?' Say it isn't so!  While I was fascinated by 'Breaking the Waves' when it first came out, I
have to put old Lars in the Euro-Suto-Anti-Intellectual-Phony-PT Barnum classification with this one.
Bjork was acting? Wow...
It's been a long time since I've seen this absurd witless silly film, but I do remember one song where Bjork was trying to
'cheer up' Deneuve. My wife and I were laughing hysterically because the expression on Deneuve's face seemed to be saying,
You boys drank the Koolaid on this one. Cannes be damned. Chaos? We don't NEED no stinking Chaos!

Now I can admit that some of the songs are a little goofy

Yes, but they're also the songs that she would create in her head. She's no Sondheim.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

henchman

• CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO A DAMN PODCAST!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
Bjork was acting? Wow...

Yes, but they're also the songs that she would create in her head. She's no Sondheim.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, I've always liked Bjork's weird style of music and her voice can reach levels I never thought possible. As far as the songs in the film, I think the goofiest part is Peter Storemare's part, but that is translated nicely if you purchase the soundtrack where he is replaced by Thom Yorke. Bjork and yorke, sign me up!
www.adamnpodcast.com
IF YOU LIKE FILMSPOTTING, DOWNLOAD OUR PODCAST TODAY!!

alexander

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 07:44:13 AM »
Taste of Cherry is one of my favorite films ever.
It is  a tasty movie

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 12:28:30 PM »
regarding the "how to start watching all the great movies" thing...

In 2000 or 2001 I started watching all of the AFI top 100 movies. Its a good variety of stuff so I would highly recommend watching them all even if there are a few I didnt enjoy all that much. Anyways, by watching the movies (and the special features on the ones you love the most), you should be able to figure some of the better foreign movies for you to start with. A lot of movies I love have directors that were heavily influenced by Fellini, Truffant, Bergman, Godard, and Kurosawa. For me, its always kind of been a "the more I see, the more I realize I havent seen" kind of thing. Since watching that 100 movie list, there has never been a shortage of directors, actors, eras, genres, etc that I have wanted to explore.

I think the best place to start is the Filmspotting Forum Top 100 or the AFI Top Movies of all Time.  They have certainly increased my movie knowledge.  All you have to do is to read the lists over, pick the ones you are most interested in, and then slowly work you way through all of them on the lists.  By the time you are done, you will officially be a film buff.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »
Bjork was acting? Wow...

I guess it comes down to personal preference, I've always liked Bjork's weird style of music and her voice can reach levels I never thought possible. As far as the songs in the film, I think the goofiest part is Peter Storemare's part, but that is translated nicely if you purchase the soundtrack where he is replaced by Thom Yorke. Bjork and yorke, sign me up!

I was talking about Selma the character specifically, not Bjork, as much. Never listened to her music outside Dancer In The Dark.

For people wanting lists, "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?" is a great place to look up.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Topmounter

• ....sent by grocery clerks.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
I'm a big fan of Elf and I force friends and family to watch it during the holidays whenever possible... I'm broken hearted that Adam and Matty did not see fit to give it 5/5 stars and put it in the pantheon  :'(
Topmounter

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Just finally got around to listening to this ep. and it must've been a real slow e-mail week since I got two read.

love