love

Author Topic: FS Reviews: Avatar/Nine  (Read 17487 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: FS Reviews: Avatar/Nine
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2010, 02:03:13 AM »
You can do that with any two movies/stories.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2010, 03:28:04 AM »
You can do that with any two movies/stories.
I'd like to see you try it with My Dinner with Andre and The Big Sleep :).
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

alexander

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »
hey, good posting is good observation.

Pink

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »

For the win.

Can we stop talking about Avatar yet?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »
Not until...

...the Awards Season is Over.
...the DVD details are announced.
...people weigh in on how it plays on their home TV.
...enough time has passed for more perspective.
...we stop posting Top 5's about films that look good, have effects or are shot on digital.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »

For the win.

This thread will do a ton.

CALLED!
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2010, 01:47:36 AM »
I can only speak from my own experience, but I was completely drawn into Avatar, and it wasn't just the visuals. The story has been done many times before, and like you guys said, there is nothing wrong with that. But I completely disagree that it was handled poorly. In particular, I believed in all of these characters and just loved spending time with them - particularly Zoe Saldana's Neytiri and Stephen Lang's Colonel (who is one of the most delectably cartoony villians I've seen in a while). I actually think Neytiri is the key to the film, if you are invested in her, you are invested in the Na'vi, and then invested in Sully's evolved mission. At least, that's what happened to me. You guys may have thought Saldana was good but not good enough to save the film, but I thought she was the film, and she worked perfectly for me. I, like some of the other people you've heard from, don't think any excuses need to made for Avatar. It all worked for me, and I'm fine with that.

(I will give Matty this: I was waiting for Sam Worthington to hop on that dinosaur the whole time, and it was awesome)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:49:56 AM by gateway »
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Topmounter

• ....sent by grocery clerks.
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
I saw Avatar in 3D and agree with the review.

I think Matty's issue with 3D is the problem with the current state of 3D technology, it is a very subjective experience and as long as they are using optical trickery to create the effect, requiring glasses or not, some people are going to react negatively to it.  I know I had the glasses half-way down the bridge of my nose so I could tilt my head down and rest my eyes while still seeing the screen and I was still pretty taxed by the end of the movie (and I don't wear glasses).  There was definitely some pretty neat eye-candy, but I felt like I was watching someone play a video game... interesting to a point, but (like IMAX) it's fun in that theme park ride or VR simulator sort of way, but not what I want out of a movie-going experience.  I'd be interested in watching it again in 2D just to see how the experience differed, but I think I'll wait for Netflix to get the BRD.

Regarding the "story", I went with my girlfriend and purposely did not discuss anything I had heard about the movie prior to seeing it (and she doesn't keep up on such things).  The first thing she said as we were leaving was "Wow, they were sure laying it on thick".  And I think that's the problem a lot of people have with the story, on one hand you have this heavy-handed, didactic socially conscious dialogue and imagery that leaves nothing to the imagination.  While on the other hand they leave everything to the imagination when it came to questions like Why did they have to start now?  Had all the less rich deposits been depleted?  Why didn't they use deep mining techniques and leave the natives alone?, What happened to the Ewoks? etc. etc.  They could have included more in the first half of the movie to help bring the more pragmatic among us along for the ride, I had a million questions bouncing around in my head that should have never been there in the first place and it really took me out of the experience.

That all being said and regardless of what you thought of Avatar, you can't argue with the fact that JC managed to put together an experience that continues to pack the movie theaters and looks to be rather profitable despite its hefty price tag.

edit... I'd also be interested in seeing how Avatar does across different age groups... I'm solidly in the "Star Wars" generation and didn't care for the prequels, but was totally captivated by the first Matrix movie and loved the LOTR trilogy (I read the books as a kid and loved them).  Now if someone would just use all this high-tech movie wizardry to create a series of decent Dune movies  :o
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:37:04 PM by Topmounter »
Topmounter

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2010, 05:01:38 PM »
Now if someone would just use all this high-tech movie wizardry to create a series of decent Dune movies  :o
That would be great!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2010, 10:44:49 PM »
Now if someone would just use all this high-tech movie wizardry to create a series of decent Dune movies  :o
That would be great!

The miniseries "Dune" and "Children of Dune" were pretty good.  Although the FX was less than stellar.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love